Buying a phone from AT&T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s time for a new phone so I looked up some models and called the local ATT location to see what they have in stock and the prices.

He said he really can’t give me a price. Basically you have to enter into some sort of payment agreement. He said it had to with new laws. Anyone know the details on this? Last year they would let you pay up front for a phone.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
You have to buy an unlocked phone, which they have, but they want you to buy a phone with a plan. Unlocked phones, depending on the model, sit around $850 ish bucks. I have not seen anything that would prohibit someone from buying an unlocked and force that person into a contract.

Newegg has unlocked phones as well.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my phone off of Amazon, Galaxy S10e, unlocked. Took it and my old phone to the AT&T store and they swapped everything over for me.
That was maybe a couple years ago though. We no longer have AT&T, now with Consumer Cellular.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife also generally buys her phones directly from Samsung as she likes to either pay fully up front or pay them off after a few months. Hers come unlocked as well, so we just go to Verizon to get set up. Her newest one is a Samsung Fold. She was able to get an $800 credit for her older Samsung with a cracked screen. However, that older one wasn't all that old. We go with Androids.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a prepay phone at wally world and just took it and my old flip phone to the AT&T store and they cut me a new sims card to fit and transfer all my info onto it for free. I think i gave less than $50 for the phone and it does everything in need it to do and then some that i dont care about.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did like you except l walk in AT&T last year in Choctaw and tried to pay cash for 2 of those $1000.00. Samsungs S20 (?) something or others but they didn't want my money. Walk out after a few choice words with all 3 of the people in there and told Mother looks like cash don't do you any good in that place. We are still using our S8 pluses. I think they are probably 6,7 years old. Still hold a charge all day and get updates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom