Buying a pistol on vacation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be spending some time in a small town in Nebraska. I don't have my CCW, or I'd just be more willing to take some of my own, but are there any laws preventing me from pawn shop purchasing if I come across the right deal? I will have ample range time and resources up there, I just want to grab a plinker as my souvenir. The only person that I've ever talked to that tried, said Bass Pro will only sell to residents of the state the store is in, and adjacent states. Is that a law, or a policy? I know I can still take the guns on the trip, but I dont want to worry about them with some pissed off Kansas trooper. My glove box isn't big enough for all the ammo, and I'd want to take a tabletop safe (I still will anyways) for the back of the car.

TL;DR
Can I, as an Oklahoman, buy a gun over the counter (or hell even face to face) in Nebraska or South Dakota?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is specifically covered on FTF, but unless I misread, it didn't say you can't buy from an ffl with 4473 out of state, or did it?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy a long gun out-of-state (the "adjacent state" bit is a red herring) so long as it's legal for you to have in your home state. A handgun can be purchased out-of-state, but must be shipped to, and transferred through, an FFL in your home state. That's true regardless of whether the seller is an FFL or private party.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You must take delivery of a handgun in YOUR resident state.
Just make arrangements with an OK FFL to receive your purchase directly from the out of state FFL and transfer it to you for a fee.
You cannot legally purchase out of state any other way for a handgun, either dealer or private, but must receive it from an OK FFL.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about at a gun show like Wanenmacher? Do visitors from other states, buying a pistol from a private seller at the show, have to have it transferred to a FFL in his/her home state?
Private sellers probably sell to whoever but they are supposed to transfer to FFL in the buyer's home state then the transfer happens there.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about at a gun show like Wanenmacher? Do visitors from other states, buying a pistol from a private seller at the show, have to have it transferred to a FFL in his/her home state?
Yes. "A handgun can be purchased out-of-state, but must be shipped to, and transferred through, an FFL in your home state. That's true regardless of whether the seller is an FFL or private party." Whether the private seller actually follows that law is up to him, but it is the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom