Buying a pistol on vacation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Firearms Owners Protection Act will protect you as you pass through Kansas so long as you're legal in your state of departure and in your destination state. Just don't stop long enough in Kansas to make it a "destination;" I'm not aware of any caselaw defining what makes it an intermediate destination, but I'd say getting gas is fine, getting lunch (aside from drive-through) is marginal, and visiting someone along the way is seriously iffy. Keep it unloaded in an inaccessible compartment (trunk, truck bed, cargo area of SUV) and you should be fine. Also, don't do anything to get pulled over, and if you are stopped for some reason, don't allow a search.

That last sentence is always good advice, BTW.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Firearms Owners Protection Act will protect you as you pass through Kansas so long as you're legal in your state of departure and in your destination state. Just don't stop long enough in Kansas to make it a "destination;" I'm not aware of any caselaw defining what makes it an intermediate destination, but I'd say getting gas is fine, getting lunch (aside from drive-through) is marginal, and visiting someone along the way is seriously iffy. Keep it unloaded in an inaccessible compartment (trunk, truck bed, cargo area of SUV) and you should be fine. Also, don't do anything to get pulled over, and if you are stopped for some reason, don't allow a search.

That last sentence is always good advice, BTW.
I thought Kansas recently went open Constitutional carry?

Edit:
Kansans soon can carry concealed weapons without permits or training under a bill signed by Gov. Sam Brownback on Thursday.

The new law, which kicks in July 1, makes Kansas the sixth state to allow “constitutional carry.” It will allow Kansans 21 and older to carry concealed firearms regardless of whether they have obtained a permit.

Training still will be required for anyone who wants to carry a concealed gun in the 36 states that accept Kansas permits.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article17232419.html

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought Kansas recently went open Constitutional carry?

Edit:
Kansans soon can carry concealed weapons without permits or training under a bill signed by Gov. Sam Brownback on Thursday.

The new law, which kicks in July 1, makes Kansas the sixth state to allow “constitutional carry.” It will allow Kansans 21 and older to carry concealed firearms regardless of whether they have obtained a permit.

Training still will be required for anyone who wants to carry a concealed gun in the 36 states that accept Kansas permits.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article17232419.html
So much the better!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about at a gun show like Wanenmacher? Do visitors from other states, buying a pistol from a private seller at the show, have to have it transferred to a FFL in his/her home state?
They're supposed to but not all of them do it. One time at a Kansas gun show I admired a gun for sale and said I wish that I could buy it but that I couldn't because I was resident of Oklahoma. His response was that he didn't care and that he would sell it to me anyway.

So, yeah; it goes on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom