Buying advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pencil part. Devalue only happens to individuals. If it doesn't bother me, it doesn't devalue it to me. The two that I had, I sold for more than I had invested, and I remember that in one case, the buyer that it was a nice addition to the story of the piece. Value, like beauty is only in the eyes of the beholder.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Some consider it part of the provenance. I get it though, if your spending top dollar some may not consider it perfect

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info, but got me curious. How much will an engraved name and/or date on a gun devalue it? How about with a bit of rust?

Value will drop a lot, even if hidden under the grips. I agree with Jimmy half should be expected but most people will not even care to purchase.

As far as rust/pitting. If you see it on the grip frame and or the main springs, I would assume the rest of the internals have it (even though you most likely can not see). At that point, I would not consider buying it unless you got a very good price and expected to pay money for repair.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen rifles stocks that have names and dates written on the stock, under the butt-plate. I have heard it was common for a time to remove the plate and put your name and the date you got the rifles there. I have no problem with it as it is not normally visible and it not only adds a bit of history to the rifle, but can sometimes help in dating the rifle (along with other factors).

Last edited:

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite is when you buy a S&W that has a "trigger job" and you get it home to find out bubba has loosened the strain screw. One of the best indicators to see if bubba has been inside of the gun is to look closely at the sideplate screws. I swear bubba uses a rusty oversize screwdriver from the garage sale pile. Another thing I've done is to bring my good screwdrivers and ask the seller to remove the grips.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some consider it part of the provenance. I get it though, if your spending top dollar some may not consider it perfect

For me a SSN, phone number, or name of an owner adds nothing to provenance of gun. I would say being able to prove it was a LE gun or owned by someone famous would. I also think foreign proof marks add to history too.

I’ll also say if these things don’t take away from value, then why not show photos in adds or why go through great lengths to cover them up? Once I showed the seller the SSN and names he never changed his add in anyway. If your going to Shawnee show today be carful of a 19-3 4 inch model 19.

Several years ago I got a python from a show in Tulsa. I checked gun top to bottom and was excited about purchase. I arrived home and went to my cleaning and lube. Well on frame under cylinder, was a SSN scratched. I couldn’t tell until I removed some kid of dark blue/black “paste” that was there to cover it up. When I called the owner of the gun booth, he said he was shocked and didn’t know. Even though day before that gun had been in his family for years. He had to go through great lengths to make that “paste” look like part of the gun.

I didn’t mean to start issues I just wanted to offer a suggestion from my experience. There are good guys out there, but I have learned to be very careful. Also never buy the story, buy the gun!

Good luck guys.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
For me a SSN, phone number, or name of an owner adds nothing to provenance of gun. I would say being able to prove it was a LE gun or owned by someone famous would. I also think foreign proof marks add to history too.

I’ll also say if these things don’t take away from value, then why not show photos in adds or why go through great lengths to cover them up? Once I showed the seller the SSN and names he never changed his add in anyway. If your going to Shawnee show today be carful of a 19-3 4 inch model 19.

Several years ago I got a python from a show in Tulsa. I checked gun top to bottom and was excited about purchase. I arrived home and went to my cleaning and lube. Well on frame under cylinder, was a SSN scratched. I couldn’t tell until I removed some kid of dark blue/black “paste” that was there to cover it up. When I called the owner of the gun booth, he said he was shocked and didn’t know. Even though day before that gun had been in his family for years. He had to go through great lengths to make that “paste” look like part of the gun.

I didn’t mean to start issues I just wanted to offer a suggestion from my experience. There are good guys out there, but I have learned to be very careful. Also never buy the story, buy the gun!

Good luck guys.

Sorry about that, didn’t realize you were talking about SSN and such. I was talking about the name of the guy that put it together at the factory. It would usually have a serial number penciled on the inside of the grips too.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry about that, didn’t realize you were talking about SSN and such. I was talking about the name of the guy that put it together at the factory. It would usually have a serial number penciled on the inside of the grips too.
Yeah, the OP wasn't real clear as to what the problem was. I was confused as to why the serial number under the grips would be a big issue.