Buying from a Rental Car Company?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now there are plenty of deals on rentals. Many much lower mileage than normals. The companies are hurting. People are not traveling, and they are having to liquidate some of their fleet.

I’ve been looking at some Lincoln’s and Cadillacs at both dealers and rental sales lots. 20-30k mile 2019 models. Lots of warranty left. Overall the cars are taken of, but if little cosmetic details bother you, it may hard to satisfy you. Expect curb rash on a minimum of 2 wheels, and commonly all 4. Marks on the top of the rear bumper where luggage is drug in and out of the trunk. Door dings because people don’t car where they park. Dings are are usually fixable by PDR for a couple of hundred. I’m not sure why they don’t detail these cars.

The higher end cars seem to have far less miles and less abuse that others. Premium brands have longer warranty periods remaining. Usually and extra year and 10-14k more miles.

Price is fixed and the sales process much easier to put up with.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rented many vehicles on my weekend trips that i jumped railroad tracks like the Dukes of hazzard.I would never buy a rental vehicle, someone like me probably drove it.
I can second that. I remember driving a rental car that had the emergency brake in the console between the seats. My buddies and I drove it to the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio and by the time we brought it back we were experts at the power slide and the highway 180 ending up going the opposite direction at 60mph.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are good and bad vehicles no matter what path you go. For my company I typically get a new truck every other year and cycle it down the ladder till it’s scrap metal a couple decades later. Last new 2019 ford eats tons of oil the new 2016 b4 that went thru VVT’s and oil sending units

Late 2016 a red light runner decided my 08 f150 (I Loved) had lived long enough even though it was only 290k young. Insurance company put me in a ram with a HEMI and took months to get their end sorted out since the person who hit me went MIA. Spending the money on a new one did not make sense at the time so I looked at other used fords. At the time what Ford I was looking for was $30k plus (v8 4x4 extended cab with 85k or less miles). After driving for so long I asked enterprise if I could just buy the one I was in. Nope- but they did find me one with 41k on the clock. More options then I was looking for and $24k. Truck has just under 100k on it now and the only problem it had was the exhaust manifold bolts that plague that engine and were replaced under warranty. it is being passed down and I just bought another 2020 Ram from Melton that was an ex enterprise rental. 6k miles on the clock, certified with 100k power train warranty and a ton of bumper to bumper left. About $10k less then new. So far I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another

Sales experience from Melton was great. Don’t use their service department it is worthless

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Mixed bag of replies as i thought it would be. I get/understand both sides for the equation with responses. Seems like the ones who have actually bought from the rental companies have been happy and have had success. The former rental Expendition at the Ford dealer had a sticker that said 7 year/100K mile power train warranty with another bit lower bumber to bumer warranty which in nice if the factory warranty is still honored being that the SUV was only a 2019 model year.

I did notice the Limited model we looked at was real nice from 10' but did have some cosmetic issues when looked at close up. Saving $25-$30k on a year and a half old plus suv then that's a pretty good risk to take in may instances.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have bought two rentals and was pleased with both. Last was the 2013 caravan my wife is driving. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now there are plenty of deals on rentals. Many much lower mileage than normals. The companies are hurting. People are not traveling, and they are having to liquidate some of their fleet.

I’ve been looking at some Lincoln’s and Cadillacs at both dealers and rental sales lots. 20-30k mile 2019 models. Lots of warranty left. Overall the cars are taken of, but if little cosmetic details bother you, it may hard to satisfy you. Expect curb rash on a minimum of 2 wheels, and commonly all 4. Marks on the top of the rear bumper where luggage is drug in and out of the trunk. Door dings because people don’t car where they park. Dings are are usually fixable by PDR for a couple of hundred. I’m not sure why they don’t detail these cars.

The higher end cars seem to have far less miles and less abuse that others. Premium brands have longer warranty periods remaining. Usually and extra year and 10-14k more miles.

Price is fixed and the sales process much easier to put up with.

I rented two premium cars last year, and I can also confirm that those were in much nicer condition than the regular herd of cars. The 2019 black BMW 530 with only 3500 miles was immaculate --- it was perfect! Turned it in with almost 6000 miles. Went from Boston to Quebec and back, and everywhere between. Got a 2018 Caddy CTS in Glendale, AZ for an NFL weekend. It had 15,000 miles and only had the trunk opening scuffs. The BMW was a much better vehicle!

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We bought a fleet vehicle / Dodge Grand Caravan and drove it 10 years & 230,000 miles with no significant repairs needed. I worked for Dollar Thrifty for 10+ years and their fleet vehicles were maintained on extremely strict schedules. Remarketing of those fleet vehicles is a critical part of their business model. Sure there are some people that rent cars and trash them but most are just rentals by folks on a business trips. The repair shops at LAX and other larger locations looked exactly like the shops at any large car dealer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom