Buying Gold/Silver - Do you do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always ask folks that if the SHTF, who can you find to buy your gold and silver so you can buy what you want? Gold and silver, especially in bars is NOT legal tender in the U.S. Anyone willing to sell shavings off of a bar to some guy that is telling you what he will pay?

So, you could have a stack of precious metals and starve to death.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always ask folks that if the SHTF, who can you find to buy your gold and silver so you can buy what you want? Gold and silver, especially in bars is NOT legal tender in the U.S. Anyone willing to sell shavings off of a bar to some guy that is telling you what he will pay?

So, you could have a stack of precious metals and starve to death.

Beans, bullets, and bandaids for SHTF scenario.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a SHTF situation i had rather have food stored than gold.
I can eat the food, cant eat the gold.
And in a SHTF situation food will be more valuable than gold. And if you did find someone to sell you some food [that seems unlikely to me] it would be so expensive that your gold would be used up very quickly.
Invest in long term storage food, water purification, Firearms,ammo and anything else you may need to keep you and your family alive.
Gold is pretty, but its hard to swallow.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"A fool and his money will soon part ways".

I always told my kids, "If you don't watch your money someone else will do it for you."

UPS delivered one oz American Buffalo $50 gold yesterday from the US Mint. I must have $50,000 worth by now. I can cash them in for a down payment on a house or buy a new car. But don't get any ideas boys, I keep them in a safe deposit box. Bought some at $800 an oz and today they're worth far more than tht.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a SHTF situation i had rather have food stored than gold.
I can eat the food, cant eat the gold.
And in a SHTF situation food will be more valuable than gold. And if you did find someone to sell you some food [that seems unlikely to me] it would be so expensive that your gold would be used up very quickly.
Invest in long term storage food, water purification, Firearms,ammo and anything else you may need to keep you and your family alive.
Gold is pretty, but its hard to swallow.
Question is can you store enough food to get you through a SHTF scenario? No one knows how something like that would pan out. In any case, if someone has what you need and you don't have what they want to barter, gold and silver is an option

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always told my kids, "If you don't watch your money someone else will do it for you."

UPS delivered one oz American Buffalo $50 gold yesterday from the US Mint. I must have $50,000 worth by now. I can cash them in for a down payment on a house or buy a new car. But don't get any ideas boys, I keep them in a safe deposit box. Bought some at $800 an oz and today they're worth far more than tht.

The Christmas we got married, I gave my wife a 1 ounce ($20) gold piece. I paid $200 for it.

I think it's worth more now, but I don't think it'll ever be sold.

Latest posts

Top Bottom