Buying kitchen stuff that lasts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had ordered some factory 2nds All Clad measuring cups and spoons set, $40 shipped. Normally $100 or so. They came in yesterday cant see anything wrong with the box or the items

Let me tell you these have some weight to them and are solid.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still in search of a coffee grinder that does not go out after several months , Thinking on going old school hand crank next go round.
Baratza burr grinder. American made. I've used mine almost daily for a couple of years now. This along with a Bonavita coffee maker makes some good brew.

We have a Lodge skillet that pretty good and I really like the Lodge stovetop griddle. Get the heavy one. The light one like is sold at Atwoods cracked. We and my siblings also use the Wagner cast irons that my mother purchased 70 years ago. Mom used at least one of them daily until two years ago. Mom told me she gave $6 for the set.

Staub for ceramic, Alclad for stainless, and Scanpan for nonstick. All purchased at bargain prices except the Scanpan, but have used it nearly daily for 18 months. Always start non stick at low heat and I think some oils are a no go, but I've only used a little butter occasionally. I use it mostly for eggs without the grease.

I have a few Cutco knives from when I sold them 40 years ago. They're okay, but Wustof is our go to cutlery.

The restuarant supply stores are a good recommendation especially for utensils.

I have no idea who makes a quality toaster. We bought a cheap one after an expensive one my wife bought kept throwing a breaker.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like a RIA 1911 is the same as a Nighthawk 1911...

There's a huge difference in the level of finish between my Stargazer ($80-ish) pan and a Lodge pan I haven't smoothed out. Night and day difference. The Stargazer is also lighter and the handle is much improved in form and function. That's not to say the Lodge stuff doesn't work. It does...and I have several Lodge pans. But there's definitely a noticeable difference in feel and function between the two.

I don't have anything other than those two brands. I do have a Staub enameled cast iron skillet that's pretty amazing.
The $80 Stargazer isn't totally off the chain ridiculous in price. That I can see if it offers something you are after. I do like cooking on my Lodge that I sanded and reseasoned more than the others. It just has a "better feel", but as far as sticking it's no different at all and the rough ones cook just as well and cleanup too.

@okierider I looked at Old Hickory knives when I was buying a new set and I just couldn't do it. Went with Victorinox. Went back and bought a couple more later including a long slicer for briskets and such. They are nice! And they don't cost Wusthof money. It's actually pretty hard these days to not overpay for decent knives. There aren't a lot of options. If one is on a really tight budget Old Hickory probably is the best pick as they use good carbon steel but that's about all. Don't put them in the dishwasher unless you like them orange. :laugh6:

Col Bullsigh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Needing some suggestions. I need a new toaster, and some new pots and pans. I spent several hundred dollars on new pots and pans 6 years ago, and the heavy use items are on their last legs. I also need a new toaster. Mine is 7 years old and kinda warms up your bread.

Suggestions? I’m not opposed to spending good money on either of these items. I cook every day, many times multiple times a day. I spent $400 on a zojirushi rice cooker 3 years ago, because all the people I found with them said they would average 15-25 years out of theirs. That’s the kinda longevity I’m looking for. I don’t want to buy another toaster until my kids are in college, and I don’t even have kids yet.

Also, pots and pans. I’m intrigued by copper pots and pans. Real ones, not the infomercial ones. I looked at duparquet, they should last several generations, I’ve seen some that are over 100 years old and they’re made in the US, which is a big plus, but even if I’m buying one at a time as my stuff wears out I can’t swing $500-1200 a pan.
Find your nearest restaurant supply company. In Tu;sa, we have a dozen, but the best one is Restaurant Equipment & Supply on 31st between Memorial and Mingo that also caters to the private chef. They have a real supermarket of cookware and toasters that are designed to do 50 toasts every morning for 10 years. for not much more than you'd pay for a 4 slot at Walmart. Tulsa Restaurant Equipment & Supply

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find your nearest restaurant supply company. In Tu;sa, we have a dozen, but the best one is Restaurant Equipment & Supply on 31st between Memorial and Mingo that also caters to the private chef. They have a real supermarket of cookware and toasters that are designed to do 50 toasts every morning for 10 years. for not much more than you'd pay for a 4 slot at Walmart. Tulsa Restaurant Equipment & Supply
that one does have some good stuff

Latest posts

Top Bottom