Buying kitchen stuff that lasts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look into waterless cookware, it's not cheap but it cooks good and looks good. We've got several pots we've used almost exclusively for close to 10 years now.

I'm migrating away from non-stick pans and moving toward cast iron. I've tried some Lodge but they seemed to take more work to season, even though they are 'pre-seasoned'. I've got 2 or 3 pans made by Victoria Cast Iron from Columbia. Their pans feel smoother than Lodge and they seasoned a little better for me. With just a little butter in the 8" pan, I can flip an egg, yoke intact. Clean up is pretty easy and then put a light coat of oil on it and it's ready for the next day. I also use the cast iron to sear our steaks.

I've also tried a carbon stainless steel pan but still trying to get it figured out. Like mentioned previously, need to learn temp and time requirements and you're good to go.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for a new toaster get a cheap on at Walmart when it quits just buy another, as for quality high cost pots and pans i went that way for my ex wife, she just beat the hell outa them turned them all into trashed junk.
So i advise just buy the cheapest and when their finished just buy new ones.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haha it does. I don’t care if it beeped the entire solo of freebird every time I pressed start, you couldn’t convince me to not love mine. I made a pancake it it not too long ago, turned out pretty good actually. I want to figure out how some people cook in theirs and try some stuff out.

I love cast iron, and have a few lodge pans of various sizes/styles and a Dutch oven. And my beloved griswald cornbread ear of corn pan. But the wife hates caring for them, and is definitely not a fan of the weight. I don’t mind some weight to my pans, but tossing my breakfast potatoes in a 13” lodge cast iron is a little too much work for me.

I was looking at a countertop oven/air fryer deal today at Costco. Pretty snazzy. Wife wants one bad, and I like the idea of using a smaller over for most things.

How do you like the stainless stuff? Also directed to @Chuckie and @swampratt. ive used a stainless pan maybe once or twice, ended up with a stuck on mess each time.
I only use stainless for heating a can of beans, soup, etc.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cook everything I can in Grandma's cast iron skillet. Next is the Kitchen Aid stainless. I have one 16 qt, large, stainless stew pot. It came from restaurant supply.

Toaster and stand mixer are Cooke, from Penny's. 18 years and working perfect.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about real high dollar stuff but Victorinox (the Swiss Army knife people) make some kitchen knives that seem good for the money.
I've used their paring knife and all purpose knife and like them both.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haha it does. I don’t care if it beeped the entire solo of freebird every time I pressed start, you couldn’t convince me to not love mine. I made a pancake it it not too long ago, turned out pretty good actually. I want to figure out how some people cook in theirs and try some stuff out.

I love cast iron, and have a few lodge pans of various sizes/styles and a Dutch oven. And my beloved griswald cornbread ear of corn pan. But the wife hates caring for them, and is definitely not a fan of the weight. I don’t mind some weight to my pans, but tossing my breakfast potatoes in a 13” lodge cast iron is a little too much work for me.

I was looking at a countertop oven/air fryer deal today at Costco. Pretty snazzy. Wife wants one bad, and I like the idea of using a smaller over for most things.

How do you like the stainless stuff? Also directed to @Chuckie and @swampratt. ive used a stainless pan maybe once or twice, ended up with a stuck on mess each time.
I use my Calophan stainless for everything except eggs, which I use a Calophan non-stick for. When it comes to cleaning the SS I use Barkeepers liquid cleanser, and over the years, the interior of the pans have become so polished that almost nothing seems to stick (except eggs if I don't use enough oil). I can even do sweet&sour chicken without anything sticking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom