Buying kitchen stuff that lasts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Staub enameled cast iron cookware (or LeCreuset...I prefer Staub) but this also applies to LC). But only the made-in-France stuff (they have some stuff that's made in China). Staub enameled case iron is damn near bullet proof and cooks amazingly well. It's heirloom quality stuff. I have several pieces and don't regret spending the $$ they get for the stuff.

Knives...I bought some Wusthof knives piece by piece a few years ago. Amazing steel and simple to keep sharp.
If you ever look for top-quality dinnerware, look at Denby. It's all handmade in England and it's not only gorgeous it's functional. Great, great stuff.

My kitchen at my place in Olustee was the equivalent of a kid putting $5000 tires/wheels on a $500 car! :) I learned a long time ago the value of top quality equipment whether it's kitchen stuff or tools or guns or whatever.

Also hard to go wrong with KitchenAid appliances, I've found.

I love the basil green color on the Staub stuff. This is the 4 (or 5) qt Dutch oven...

View attachment 329591

View attachment 329593
Yea that's Beautiful stuff

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haha it does. I don’t care if it beeped the entire solo of freebird every time I pressed start, you couldn’t convince me to not love mine. I made a pancake it it not too long ago, turned out pretty good actually. I want to figure out how some people cook in theirs and try some stuff out.

I love cast iron, and have a few lodge pans of various sizes/styles and a Dutch oven. And my beloved griswald cornbread ear of corn pan. But the wife hates caring for them, and is definitely not a fan of the weight. I don’t mind some weight to my pans, but tossing my breakfast potatoes in a 13” lodge cast iron is a little too much work for me.

I was looking at a countertop oven/air fryer deal today at Costco. Pretty snazzy. Wife wants one bad, and I like the idea of using a smaller over for most things.

How do you like the stainless stuff? Also directed to @Chuckie and @swampratt. ive used a stainless pan maybe once or twice, ended up with a stuck on mess each time.
Oil, butter, etc in stainless. Make sauces to help clean the pan.

I cook eggs in cast iron or innnon stick. It’s my only use for non stick pans. I have one. Just never use metal or high heat in non stick pans. I have a ceramic pan, it sucks.

Buy pans at restaurant supply houses. Bought my coated Dutch oven off Amazon. It’s great for soups, brazing, etc.

I used to be able to get stuff at cost at a high end store. I didn’t bother as it still wasn’t worth it and bought lodge instead of French stuff 4 Best Dutch Ovens, Tested by Food Network Kitchen

Now, if you can find griswold cast iron anywhere, buy it unless it’s warped.

Last edited:

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USA made Cast iron, most of what I have is lodge, except 2 old griswald pans that was my Dads.

(Beware the lodge enameled junk is chinese)

My Mom and her Mom bought Ekco pots and pans long time ago. Made in USA then. I have custody of both sets now. They are nice and heavy built, and will probably last multiple generations as long as you dont cook the handles off with a raging fire coming around the pan.

I would highly recomend them, but you would have to go to auctions, evilbay, flea markets, etc etc to get some.

Ekco made quite a bunch of nice stuff back in the day. Hard to beat Ekco

Hard to beat Vollrath's USA made stainless stuff. Got a 24qt stock pot from them, looking to get a 16qt next.

Their super pans are nice too.

Super Pan V® Stainless Steel Steam Table Pans

I steer clear of any aluminum or non stick coating stuff anymore.

For what it is worth, I have heard that high levels of aluminum in the brain and alzheimers go hand in hand.

My "go to" kitchen knives are fillet knives. I think both are Rapala!

If I cook rice it will be in a stainless pan / pot!

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
USA made Cast iron, most of what I have is lodge, except 2 old griswald pans that was my Dads.

(Beware the lodge enameled junk is chinese)

My Mom and her Mom bought Ekco pots and pans long time ago. Made in USA then. I have custody of both sets now. They are nice and heavy built, and will probably last multiple generations as long as you dont cook the handles off with a raging fire coming around the pan.

I would highly recomend them, but you would have to go to auctions, evilbay, flea markets, etc etc to get some.

Ekco made quite a bunch of nice stuff back in the day. Hard to beat Ekco

Hard to beat Vollrath's USA made stainless stuff. Got a 24qt stock pot from them, looking to get a 16qt next.

Their super pans are nice too.

Super Pan V® Stainless Steel Steam Table Pans

I steer clear of any aluminum or non stick coating stuff anymore.

For what it is worth, I have heard that high levels of aluminum in the brain and alzheimers go hand in hand.

My "go to" kitchen knives are fillet knives. I think both are Rapala!

If I cook rice it will be in a stainless pan / pot!
My lodge enameled has been great. I’ve not been able to tell the difference with it and le creuset I’ve used performance wise. Sitting there the le creuset looks a lot better, I didn’t buy them to sit there.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That used to be thought true, but about 20 years ago, they decided that there was no solid link between aluminum and Alzheimer’s.
I don't know about that...
il_fullxfull.2550941644_bky9.jpg

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone said All-clad, then I'll second the suggestion. If not, check out All-clad. Cast Iron is a must. As for appliances, I watch America's Test Kitchen for its reviews, then go check out the item around the web.

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Needing some suggestions. I need a new toaster, and some new pots and pans. I spent several hundred dollars on new pots and pans 6 years ago, and the heavy use items are on their last legs. I also need a new toaster. Mine is 7 years old and kinda warms up your bread.

Suggestions? I’m not opposed to spending good money on either of these items. I cook every day, many times multiple times a day. I spent $400 on a zojirushi rice cooker 3 years ago, because all the people I found with them said they would average 15-25 years out of theirs. That’s the kinda longevity I’m looking for. I don’t want to buy another toaster until my kids are in college, and I don’t even have kids yet.

Also, pots and pans. I’m intrigued by copper pots and pans. Real ones, not the infomercial ones. I looked at duparquet, they should last several generations, I’ve seen some that are over 100 years old and they’re made in the US, which is a big plus, but even if I’m buying one at a time as my stuff wears out I can’t swing $500-1200 a pan.
Nothing wrong with good old cast iron!

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been slowly replacing our pots and pans (enamel coated for the pots) with cast iron the last few years.
You should check out SolidTecniks , a lot like cast iron without causing wrist failure. I have it hanging right next to my cats iron. I bought it before prices went crazy but I got a few sets a year ago now they are hard to get and more expensive,

But they are awesome light weight, and yes the handle stays cool some how

https://solidteknicsusa.com/shop/solidworkhorsepack

Latest posts

Top Bottom