Buying kitchen stuff that lasts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife still uses Lustre Craft pots and pans after 45+ years. She bought them in high school. They still looks nice for the age.
Paul Revere ware has been around our family for years. Don't think they make stuff like that anymore.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Lodge cast iron. I have a lot of it. But all of their enameled cast iron is Chinese made. I've heard (though don't know if it's true) there are a lot of EPA issues that make manufacturing enameled cast iron in the USA too much of a pain in the ass.

I also bought a Stargazer skillet a year or two ago just because it was on sale. When you see something like a Stargazer next to a Lodge you'll instantly understand why they cost more.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This seems like an appropriate place to drop this. It's a Q&A with (fellow Okie) Cowboy Kent Rollins and the CEO of Stargazer Cast Iron from last year.

And here's Rollins's review of Lodge, Stargazer, Field Co, and Butter Pat cast iron skillets from 4 years ago:

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Lodge cast iron. I have a lot of it. But all of their enameled cast iron is Chinese made. I've heard (though don't know if it's true) there are a lot of EPA issues that make manufacturing enameled cast iron in the USA too much of a pain in the ass.

I also bought a Stargazer skillet a year or two ago just because it was on sale. When you see something like a Stargazer next to a Lodge you'll instantly understand why they cost more.
I had to grind all of the lodge cast iron I ever bought. They are now smooth as class after seasoning them again. Lodge form the factory is junk to be honest.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most salespeople are scammed into buying a set of overpriced knives and never sell anything. Though some people are really good at it hence the nature of sales. Cutco bread knives and kitchen shears are good though, the rest is just mid range stamped steel.

We have a set of cutco without any regrets. The steak knifes are great and we use them daily. They are a little overpriced but hell, what isn’t?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to grind all of the lodge cast iron I ever bought. They are now smooth as class after seasoning them again. Lodge form the factory is junk to be honest.

Yeah... Lodge stuff takes some work to make it good. I wouldn't say it's junk, myself...maybe "serviceable". It's value priced and that's reflected in the finish quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom