Buying kitchen stuff that lasts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USA made Cast iron, most of what I have is lodge, except 2 old griswald pans that was my Dads.

(Beware the lodge enameled junk is chinese)

My Mom and her Mom bought Ekco pots and pans long time ago. Made in USA then. I have custody of both sets now. They are nice and heavy built, and will probably last multiple generations as long as you dont cook the handles off with a raging fire coming around the pan.

I would highly recomend them, but you would have to go to auctions, evilbay, flea markets, etc etc to get some.

Ekco made quite a bunch of nice stuff back in the day. Hard to beat Ekco

Hard to beat Vollrath's USA made stainless stuff. Got a 24qt stock pot from them, looking to get a 16qt next.

Their super pans are nice too.

Super Pan V® Stainless Steel Steam Table Pans

I steer clear of any aluminum or non stick coating stuff anymore.

For what it is worth, I have heard that high levels of aluminum in the brain and alzheimers go hand in hand.

My "go to" kitchen knives are fillet knives. I think both are Rapala!

If I cook rice it will be in a stainless pan / pot!
Smithey is another American made cast iron company. Their stuff isn’t cheap but it’s artisan made and they have excellent customer service, in my experience.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... Lodge stuff takes some work to make it good. I wouldn't say it's junk, myself...maybe "serviceable". It's value priced and that's reflected in the finish quality.
I should be more specific the finish is junk, I buy old Griswald and Wagner when I can find them. But to be fair the entire product is not junk just looks like it was cast with kitty litter……

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smithey is another American made cast iron company. Their stuff isn’t cheap but it’s artisan made and they have excellent customer service, in my experience.
I can say "artisan" is just a word to make you think your getting something more for your money.

I did sand casting in 9th grade shop class, there is no art to it, and feel that even the Lodge brand of USA made cast iron is priced 2x (or more on the bigger stuff) than what it should be.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any problem cooking in the rough Lodge pans. I do have a 12" skillet that I bought new and before I even took it in the house I spent some time in the garage and backyard with it, my angle grinder, some discs and flapper wheels. It doesn't really cook any different at all than the several other pieces I didn't bother sanding out. Properly seasoned they just work.

Cast iron is cast iron. When I can get a brand new Lodge at wally world for $20 why would I pay $130-$200 for an artisan pan? I mean they cook the same because they in fact are the same.

Enameled cast iron is a different animal. I'll pay on that for the good ones, at least to a point.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any problem cooking in the rough Lodge pans. I do have a 12" skillet that I bought new and before I even took it in the house I spent some time in the garage and backyard with it, my angle grinder, some discs and flapper wheels. It doesn't really cook any different at all than the several other pieces I didn't bother sanding out. Properly seasoned they just work.

Cast iron is cast iron. When I can get a brand new Lodge at wally world for $20 why would I pay $130-$200 for an artisan pan? I mean they cook the same because they in fact are the same.

Enameled cast iron is a different animal. I'll pay on that for the good ones, at least to a point
I can say "artisan" is just a word to make you think your getting something more for your money.

I did sand casting in 9th grade shop class, there is no art to it, and feel that even the Lodge brand of USA made cast iron is priced 2x (or more on the bigger stuff) than what it should be.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I like knowing that the cookware I use most is beautiful craftsmanship, hand-forged and something I can past down to my kids. I can tell you I’ve done some painting and there was no artistry to it, but that’s more of an indictment on the artist than the medium.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Just like a RIA 1911 is the same as a Nighthawk 1911...

There's a huge difference in the level of finish between my Stargazer ($80-ish) pan and a Lodge pan I haven't smoothed out. Night and day difference. The Stargazer is also lighter and the handle is much improved in form and function. That's not to say the Lodge stuff doesn't work. It does...and I have several Lodge pans. But there's definitely a noticeable difference in feel and function between the two.

I don't have anything other than those two brands. I do have a Staub enameled cast iron skillet that's pretty amazing.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I can get a brand new Lodge at wally world for $20 why would I pay $130-$200 for an artisan pan?
Exactly! And they could lower that $20 pan to $12 and still make a profit! 😁

The designs might be different, and one might put forth more effort in a secondary finishing operation, but they are all made with a patten set in sand, whether by hand or machine, and then poured with molten cast iron. There is no artisan to it! Lol

Thankfully I bought all my Lodge stuff before the cast iron craze and mega inflation hit.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Cast iron and old hickory knives..... Need to maintain both but will last forever. I do have a carbon wok and some stainless pots. We have a Cuisinart toaster that is about 8 years old that has had heavy use. Still in search of a coffee grinder that does not go out after several months , Thinking on going old school hand crank next go round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom