Buying local

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a scope the other day at Village Tactical. I get my transfers through them and I try to buy from local vendors if they have something I’m interested in. The scope I purchased was $ 120.00 higher than what I could have gotten it for from an online website. I don’t mind a few dollars difference, but I feel this was excessive. Any thoughts on why such a price disparity that I may be missing?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buying local means that we are paying part of the expenses of operating that business. Online businesses have many customers, and likely, much less “expensive” locations. Village Tactical is a good store, but that location is some pricey real estate.

But, $120 difference would be a tough choice…..

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, on a small(ish) ticket item, $120 is a lot. I'm like you, I'll pay extra to support local brick and mortar stores. At one of the places I buy truck accessories and tires, I will find it online and go in and be upfront with them. I'll show them the online price and ask them how close they can come to it and I don't mind paying more if they can come close. They always get within reason and I buy from them. They are happy and I'm happy.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Along with the price of brick and mortar, small local businesses don’t do the volume that online store do, so they’re not able to get the best price on stuff they probably buy one or two of when an online store might buy a hundred at a time. It’s pretty much impossible for small businesses to compete based on price. Where they can shine is customer service, but most of the gun shops I’ve been to in the last 20 years are run by the crotchetiest people in the world.

To be honest, on gun related stuff, I don’t even try to buy local anymore.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm willing to pay up to 15 percent over online price, including s&h, in order to buy local. Sadly, It's fairly rare that local shops compete, even taking the s&h into account. I buy a lot of reloading supplies. Often, I can't find what I want from local sources, or they don't keep it in stock and have to order it.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I buy a scope for 500 and put it on my shelf for 550. The the wholesaler puts it online special for 350. How is it my fault for being high? Is the wholesaler supposed to give me a rebate cause he put it on sale? Does the online seller really have it? Some people have been waiting a year for their cheapo Optics Planet bargain. Buying local means you can take it home today. I'm glad I'm retired from retail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom