Buying local

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for clarification, it was a Sig Sauer Tango-MSR 1x10x28. It was $ 579.99 before tax. Midway has them for $ 463.99 with free shipping. I understand the small business dilemma, but it stills seems a bit much of a difference. I guess the only true way to judge the price difference would be to know their inventory costs.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for clarification, it was a Sig Sauer Tango-MSR 1x10x28. It was $ 579.99 before tax. Midway has them for $ 463.99 with free shipping. I understand the small business dilemma, but it stills seems a bit much of a difference. I guess the only true way to judge the price difference would be to know their inventory costs.
Yep, I try to buy local or non chain when I can. But if if gets significantly different, I have to wonder if it's a valid business model. I'll occasionally ask what's the deal, and their response determines my decision.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy locally where it makes sense to do so , and I do not begrudge the store owners making a profit, but they also have to not pick my pocket in the name of buying local.

If you're going to charge me $50 for the same box of ammo I can get for $29 at Walmart or when Midway has free shipping well you get the idea.

Happened at the RK show , dealer was wanting $50 for the same 5.7x28 Federal FMJ that I buy for $39 a box normally so he got no sale.

Last edited:

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an example of how a Distributorship works.

Ruger Retailer Resources

Ruger only has 15 Customers see, Distributer List.
The Distributer has a minimum order to make a purchase from Ruger (Example 100 Firearms)

The Distributer has pricing levels. Examples below.
Level A Sub Distributer 10 gun minimum. (Example Large Internet Dealers)
Level B Sub Distributer 5 gun minimum. (Example Large Retails)
Level C Sub Distributer 1 gun minimum. (Local Small Brick and Mortar Store

The small brick & mortar store’s cost for a firearm could be more than what a Level A Sub Distributer Retail Price is.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along with the price of brick and mortar, small local businesses don’t do the volume that online store do, so they’re not able to get the best price on stuff they probably buy one or two of when an online store might buy a hundred at a time. It’s pretty much impossible for small businesses to compete based on price. Where they can shine is customer service, but most of the gun shops I’ve been to in the last 20 years are run by the crotchetiest people in the world.

To be honest, on gun related stuff, I don’t even try to buy local anymore.
Agree with saying we have a gun shop in Ponca that is pretty accommodating. Did a transfer for a pistol bought online without checking his prices. Thought he might balk, but he was good with the transfer. Still regret not checking his prices as I do like to support his store, and have in the past.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I buy a scope for 500 and put it on my shelf for 550. The the wholesaler puts it online special for 350. How is it my fault for being high? Is the wholesaler supposed to give me a rebate cause he put it on sale? Does the online seller really have it? Some people have been waiting a year for their cheapo Optics Planet bargain. Buying local means you can take it home today. I'm glad I'm retired from retail.
That's exactly why brick and mortar stores can't compete. They are undercut from the online sales by the people they support by keeping their products on the shelves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom