Buying/owning a plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabigboy

Marksman
Reaction score
Where did you get your Stenson?

My old boss sold a red/white one about ‘19. He paid more for the annual & MOH than he did for the plane n about 17 or 18. His plane was based in NTX somewhere.

Mine is the yellow one in the pics, bought it in Corpus Christi. Yes, an engine overhaul can exceed the plane's value for a cheap plane like the Stinson!

Matt

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is the yellow one in the pics, bought it in Corpus Christi. Yes, an engine overhaul can exceed the plane's value for a cheap plane like the Stinson!

Matt
He was not happy. He had it about 20 years and it was probably 5-6 in his list. Some of them at the same time. He was riding with me when he talked to the mechanic during the MOH and when he got off the phone he said he loved it, but as soon as it was done he was selling and moving on. He’s been flying all his life. His dad was a military & airline pilot and owed several planes as well. Last I heard he was still planeless. He’s a gozillionaire though, so he could afford it, he just didn’t want to.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has not been posted as a means to discourage you, but is more to show that the flying community seems to have a good rapport. (And no, I'm not part of it. The closest I got was the desire to have an ultralite back in the '80's, but Oklahoma Panhandle winds with no hangar to house one negated any desire that I did have.)

The young lady flying the plane without the nose gear was on her third solo flight. They guy that helped her did a lot of reassuring by just speaking in normal language instead of normal flight/flying communications.

JRR

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've dreamed for a long time of owning a plane. Specifically, a bush plane. Something that I can use to get remote places and all that, cheapish to run, easy to fly. My dream would be that I could take my plane, throw the dog and a bag in, and fly out somewhere to go camping/hunting/fishing for a weekend or something. But, I was wondering... what would it be like to own/how much would it cost, and what can I do with it?

Those of you who have planes/have had planes/know people who have planes, how often do you fly? What do you use it for?

What kind of costs are associated with it? I've seen guys say operating costs in the neighborhood of $20-50/hr, 2-3k/yr for insurance, 500/yr inspection, garmin nav is about 300/yr

What kind of laws are associated with flying? lets say I wanna go out to the sambinoso wilderness BLM land in New Mexico. Can I just hit up my local airport, submit a flight plan/whatever is needed, gas up, load up, fly to the destination, and land in a field at the BLM land? Or lets say I wanna go visit my buddy in Denver and then do some fishing in wyoming, I just submit a flight plan, fly up to denver, visit for a day and rent a parking spot, refuel and fly up to wyoming, land on some public land, go fishing, and then when I am done I can just submit my flight plan, take off and go home?
Retired from flying 10 years ago. Flight instructor, airplane, glider, seaplane. Multi and instrument rated. Flew Corporate and airlines. Owned J-3 thru Beachcraft Bonanza. Owned open cockpit biplane and 2 German fiberglass sailplanes. Paid hanger rental at Sundance for 20 years and aircraft insurance. Spent a small Fortune to slip the earthly bonds and enjoyed every minute of it. ( you forget the late nite Instrument approaches down to minimums with sick and crying passengers scared out of the wits, and the Flt. operation manager Who wants you to load just 1,000 lbs. more of freight and break a doz. regulations.).
I do miss it, but sold it all and bought hunting property and never looked back.
Get some dual in a C-150 and see what you think of it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm looking to sell my chevy and get back into a lexus/toyota, and what do you know, first thing I see in the classifieds section is a mint kitfox 4 and trailer thats well cared for and priced within my budget for a vehicle. I just had to sit and think for a minute about how mad the wife would be if she knew I sold the truck for an airplane.
kit.jpg

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm looking to sell my chevy and get back into a lexus/toyota, and what do you know, first thing I see in the classifieds section is a mint kitfox 4 and trailer thats well cared for and priced within my budget for a vehicle. I just had to sit and think for a minute about how mad the wife would be if she knew I sold the truck for an airplane. View attachment 364886
isn't a kitfox a F.A.R. 103 airplane?

Latest posts

Top Bottom