Buying property at a tax auction that has a OHCA lien

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Wife and I found a nice little piece of property in the Tulsa County Land Auction, wife checked liens and it’s free and clear, then today at the start of the auction they hand out a paper that shows what parcels have OHCA liens against them, and the property we want is on there. The property goes up for bid tomorrow or Wednesday and we aren’t sure what to do as some OHCA liens far exceed the property value. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at several places on that list but didn't find anything that made me just for sure. Most of the land-only types seemed to be starting at about the same price/acre that I could find on the open market. At least there wasn't enough of a price difference to make me want to take off work and stand in a room waiting to bid on something all day. An OHCA lien, in my opinion almost guarantees the value ratio is not going to work in my favor. Outside of contacting them for details (which I've never done) there's no online source for that information that I am aware of.

The one property that I wanted near my house got taken off the list by someone paying up sadly. It would have been a darn nice pickup.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's otherwise free and clear, I'd guess that the OHCA lien is the reason it's being auctioned. I took a quick look at their Web site, but it didn't really address the issue of a forced sale. It did say that this is the governing statute, though:
https://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=100524
It sounds like they'll probably pursue the deficit if the auction doesn't bring enough to cover the debt, but I'm not at all sure about that. They do list contact info on their site:
OHCA Third Party Liability Unit
4345 N.Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City,OK 73105
405-522-7265 (phone)
405-530-3404 (fax)
[email protected]

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We tried to call the above several times, like most government offices they didn’t answer. We talked to Assessors office and they directed us to the Treasurers office who directed us back to the Assessors office who then directed us back to the Treasurers office.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at several places on that list but didn't find anything that made me just for sure. Most of the land-only types seemed to be starting at about the same price/acre that I could find on the open market. At least there wasn't enough of a price difference to make me want to take off work and stand in a room waiting to bid on something all day. An OHCA lien, in my opinion almost guarantees the value ratio is not going to work in my favor. Outside of contacting them for details (which I've never done) there's no online source for that information that I am aware of.

The one property that I wanted near my house got taken off the list by someone paying up sadly. It would have been a darn nice pickup.

Crazy this is 2021 and I have to mail in a request for lien value. No option to pursue it online.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We tried to call the above several times, like most government offices they didn’t answer. We talked to Assessors office and they directed us to the Treasurers office who directed us back to the Assessors office who then directed us back to the Treasurers office.
Yeah, tell me that ain't a government operation. I spent most of my career in the public sector, and I'd rather deal with the worst small business owner than any of the state bureaucracies.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From memory and about 10 years plus (so CYA) you had to own two consecutive years worth of tax liens before you could apply for a deed. You also inherit any incumbencies attached to the property at that time.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which property was it. I looked at several that had ohca liens. Some actually listed the amount on the computer. I'm guessing they were dead.
The ones not listed or no value listed, I figured were still alive in a nursing home and would be still growing til they died.
Saw one I was interested in til I saw the lien was for $30k

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From memory and about 10 years plus (so CYA) you had to own two consecutive years worth of tax liens before you could apply for a deed. You also inherit any incumbencies attached to the property at that time.
They got rid of the tax lien certificate nonsense a few years ago. Ok state tax goes with the individual and can be removed by showing they are no longer the owner. ( Encountered that a couple years ago) But Fed tax and OHCA stick to it.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kinda felt sorry for the poor dummies there buying some of those properties.
Most never bothered to drive by the places and look.
There was one at 41 north victor they bid to like 20 grand. On zillow it didn't look to bad.
But the city bulldozed it and that didn't show on their phones. A couple others were the same way.

Does anybody know what free money is? Stimulus check? Pot money? California money? don't know but overheard some talking about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom