Buying Rural Property - A Buyers Checklist to CYA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also be aware of the surrounding properties and their use. You might be an approach for a small airfield, a cemetery, neighborhood mud bog race during the summer, a landfill or worse an old abandoned landfill. Talk to the neighbors about the property and the history they know about it. Talk to the sheriff to see if they know anything criminal that happened in the past.
These are probably grasping but forewarned is forearmed.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would also be aware of the surrounding properties and their use. You might be an approach for a small airfield, a cemetery, neighborhood mud bog race during the summer, a landfill or worse an old abandoned landfill. Talk to the neighbors about the property and the history they know about it. Talk to the sheriff to see if they know anything criminal that happened in the past.
Very smart advice, also personally I would avoid Osage County, if you wanted you would never have a chance at the mineral right if you are not an Osage Nation member. Secondly, always when buying that much land have a survey done. This can save you down the road, plus if you wanted to you could talk to your Title company and request a Title or ALTA survey. This would make the title company and the survey company go out and find any easements, encroachments, and encumbrance across or around that parcel of land. This is not a requirement for rural land in Oklahoma, and will cost extra money, but would be worth it if you just want to CYA.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Covenants. I have a place and in the abstract is a covenant that says shotguns and archery only.
How this would be enforced I have no idea as I hear people in the area shooting all the time. Maybe they had a time limit I don't know.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure easement to properties beyond your plot are in writing.
I got the "oh by the way, you have to give up easement to the property behind you"
At closing about 18 years ago and it wasn't in the contract.
Yeah, I walked out of the closing to cool down.
We did end up buying the place, but I was not happy about it especially since I had to give up about 1/3 acre for easement, utitlities ROW, and access to landlocked property behind us.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My place on the river has easements, and it was not a big deal. If you buy a land locked property, you had better make sure they’re included though.

When I bought my house place up there a couple years ago, I didn’t get any inspections done (and the bank didn’t ask for any), but that may be because I got the loan through my bank here in TX and used one of my places in TX as collateral.:anyone:

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the above, and visit with the neighbors, and the Sheriff, if there are meth heads or other drug cooking druggies around there. Also ask the Sheriff what is the crime situation around there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good advice so far to CYA for a buyer.
We have several pipeline easements on some of the tillable ground. Got some good money for them and once the pipelines were planted, the farm goes back into normal usage. Airplane flies the right of way every so often but we never have a human come back after installation.
Nice mail box money after 4 pipeline easements. Actually did me a favor opening up several additional acres of dense timber to farm.
As has been said, no mineral rights in Osage county. The tribe owns everything 12” below the surface.
If there are a lot of eastern red cedar on the property, it will be expensive to get rid of them although there are some government assistance programs available at times.
Contact the local water commission to see if you can even get a water meter installed even though there is a water line running right alongside the property. Otherwise a well is in order.
We have parts of Osage county that will no longer install a water meter unless one is surrendered along that line. Just not enough capacity.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Along those same lines, talk to the county sheriff about any property you’re considering. I know someone who was considering a property right up to the time that the sheriff told him to chain down anything that could be carried off.

That used to not be much of a concern in rural Oklahoma, but meth is a scourge on this state, and tweekers are all over the place. (The sheriff was specifically warning him about local tweekers, BTW.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom