Buying Rural Property - A Buyers Checklist to CYA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
All good info. I bought 100 acres the mailbox is in a 5 gal bucket, damn I guess I can't just put a new one in the ground. So much for infrastructure.

Wait, what? You're saying you bought land you can't do ANYTHING with? What kind of agency restricts you that much?

Damn, I'd be pissed if I got screwed on a deal like that.

I'd love to buy some land, but these kinds of horror stories always scare the hell out of me.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question for all of you regarding buying tracts of land in OK. The info I'm looking for is this. When buying a "regular" property with a home on it and an acre or two is different than a 60, 120, 180 acre tract with no dwellings on it. The former I can handle with some basic knowledge I have with home inspections, termite inspections, specific pluming inspections, etc.

However, when buying tracts of land is there a checklist of what inspections, checks and verifications that we as buyers should always be aware of when purchasing land? I would hope that my realtor/broker would have this knowledge and my best interest in mine but we want to make sure our representative is doing their due diligence on our behalf.

I want to start a list of what we need to do on our end to make sure what we buy meets our needs and doesn't have any unknown restrictions, regulations or issues we find out about after the purchase.

-Mineral Rights
-Easements
----For Oil companies, etc
-Pipeline, oil/gas running through property
-Flood Plain
-Existing or Nearby Utilities
-Well Depth
-Septic Systems
-Insurance coverage for Rural Properties
-Land Use and Restrictions
-
I'd probably be willing to hire an individual separate from our real estate broker that assist with these kinds of varifications. Please opine with your experience and knowledge on purchasing rural property and what you think are the items to be checked and double checked for area of Creek, Osage, Okmulgee, Tulsa and surrounding counties in OK. Thanks for the responses in advance.

Sending you a PM

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The very first thing I do anymore when looking at or considering a property is take a simple trip to the courthouse and check out who actually owns it and whose name is on the title. As a bonus sometimes you get a peek at the tax xtamps on the bottom and can reverse engineer deduce what the property was bought for if they used those.

I once had some crazy woman trying to sell me a property that thought she was going to be an heir to. Trying to sell something she didn't even own yet.
Careful out there, there are some bonafide nutjobs

Last edited:

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait, what? You're saying you bought land you can't do ANYTHING with? What kind of agency restricts you that much?

Damn, I'd be pissed if I got screwed on a deal like that.

I'd love to buy some land, but these kinds of horror stories always scare the hell out of me.

Sorry, I wasn't serious, more of a comment that I'm sure there is some regulation on how/where to replace the mailbox.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Annoying, crazy or outright dangerous neighbors or people who just frequent the area.
.....this might be a good topic to diplomatically discuss as you try to meet the people living close to the property.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't serious, more of a comment that I'm sure there is some regulation on how/where to replace the mailbox.
Your local post office can give you the necessary details over the phone.

IIRC, it's mainly about height of the box so the carrier can reach it through their vehicle window, but distance from the traveled roadway is also a consideration (so it's not a traffic hazard).

NOT a lawyer... :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom