Buying shipping containers for storage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a few. place a railroad tie under each end and none in the middle or the floor will rot. get a light colored one and it won't get any hotter than a closed barn. or paint it white. the blue ones are hotter but not that bad unless you orient them broadside to the sun.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
World wide shortage of containers right now. From what I've been told they're all sitting on ships waiting to be unloaded, and the 1 trip containers are now being reused.

Until this all shakes out, your guess as to when that happens, they are still going to be way more expensive than they have been in the past, and I expect the price to continue to escalate.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
World wide shortage of containers right now. From what I've been told they're all sitting on ships waiting to be unloaded, and the 1 trip containers are now being reused.

Until this all shakes out, your guess as to when that happens, they are still going to be way more expensive than they have been in the past, and I expect the price to continue to escalate.
Kinda what I figured, which is part of the reason why I am leaning towards buying one or two now, rather than in 2-4 years after they've gone up another grand or two thanks to our sparkling economy.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys think it would get hotter than a standard storage unit? My current storage unit doesn’t have any insulation or ventilation.

I would mostly be storing tools I don’t need regularly, furniture that doesn’t fit in the house (my couches are huge, gonna have to get new ones for the smaller house), clothes, camping/hunting gear boxes, etc. the usual stuff.
Standard storage units aren't usually exposed to the heat on all sides and the roof. The storage units next door act as an insulator as long as it doesn't have a large exterior wall.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I paid $900 for a load of asphalt millings and the skid steer labor to build a pad for my 40' container and an additional section next to it to park two trailers on. Then I paid I think it was $3400 delivered for the container. I did this around 3-4 months ago. Delivery was an issue for many of the companies as I wanted it at the back of my backyard. I bought from a place in Nicoma Park on NE 23rd between Westminster & Anderson Rd. They deliver with a 1 ton truck so they are much more maneuverable than the other companies. I got a very clean container that was used to ship food. It's navy blue so it's not as obnoxious as most others. The asphalt millings were cheap and make a good base to keep water from pooling around or under it. Overall, it was a good purchase.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the shipping containers but if you are looking for something somewhat nice you can use as a reloading room and maybe even a Mancave type of thing then i would look at a wood Shed/Building. At my wife's cousin's ranch we all stay in three 10x20 separate gable style sheds during hunting season. They have a small porch with three windowns and some extra costs when into fully insulating the units and each has a wood stove with Mini Split A/C units. I'll see if i have any pics of them. While they are large they can be moved just about as easily as a 40' container. The ones we stay in are on skids that are sitting on a bed of 1" minus gravel/rock. Keeps them high and dry. If they had bathrooms they would make great studion apartments.

The hunting lease my FIL had for 40 years the very wealthy owner of the land had two 40' containers placed on a concrete slab about 20' apart. Then had a 16-20 wood trusses made to span about 40' from outside to outside of each container. He then fully enclosed the containers with siding and the whole thing looked just like a really nice huge barn with two big doors on each end and big barn doors in the middle where he had 6-8 picknik tables for sitting and enough space to put in table for a buffet or other needs. It was a great setup.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a military surplus auction site that sells the military's cast-offs, and some of their containers were pretty nice when I last looked--they had some that had A/C, and some were even set up as offices with doors and windows. I think it was posted here, but I'm not certain about that. Unfortunately, the closest auction locations I recall seeing were in Texas, so getting them transported would be the trick.

FWIW, my brother had one for a little while when they bought the place where they now live. IIRC, it was white, and it wasn't exceptionally hot in the summer, but what they stored in it wasn't overly heat sensitive (mostly supplies for making the house livable; it had been abandoned for a few years, and was overrun with rodents). I wouldn't want to be stuck in there with the doors closed, though.

A friend of mine built a workshop/storage facility out of two containers joined by a roof. He seemed to be happy with it, but he's also in Colorado, so the weather's a mite different.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Due to covid they are not making anymore. Hence the shortage. My nephews worked at the Hanjin factory in Subic Bay and have been laid off since Feb 2020.