1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Caching weapons for SHTF

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by AKguy1985, Jun 3, 2019.

1. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

So, I've been giving some thought you caching a relatively cheap AR, some mags and ammo in one of those large USGI 81mm ammo cans you can get, just in case the SHTF. I know hoppes makes long term storage bags that last up to five years. My problem is, every time I have tried to hide something, somebody always finds it. I had a time capsule that I buried new years eve 1999 and somebody found it! Also, stashed a big jar of pennies on the hill and somebody found that too. So, has anybody else done this? what did you do to mark your spot?

2. xseler

xseler Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Get a big baggy for your ammo. Then get a 'funeral urn' like the one uncle Leo is kept in. Put the baggy in the urn, then fill it with fireplace ashes. Nobody will go digging in that and you can hide it in plain sight.

3. jfssms

jfssms Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If SHTF you will need a suppressed .22 and a box of ammo to take what you need.

4. cal7.62x39

cal7.62x39 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Did people find your stuff, or did you mis remember where you put them? Jk lol. A trick I have heard of is to bury it (81mm can) vertically where the top is at least a foot down, then put a scrap sheet of tin roof pannel/sheet over it and bury that about 2-3 inches. That way IF someone comes snooping with a metal detector even if they get a hit on your stash they will quickly give up when they hit a buried sheet of worthless tin thinking thats what they pinged on. Makes it a pain to access for you later, but about safe proofs your stash, plus the tin acts as a marker itself. If your digging and dont hit metal after a couple inches, your in the wrong spot.

5. rswink

rswink Sharpshooter

Learn to hide things in plain sight. It really is not hard to do and if you are the only 1 you tell what you do then you are the only 1 to blame.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

dennishoddy and easy like this.
  6. blake711

blake711 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If you really want to hide something. Just bust open a wall and stick it in there and Sheetrock it in. Ala Sicario. That way its always near by and no one has access to it but those in your home.

7. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    be sure you have an AK in there lol...

RickN, dennishoddy and GlockPride like this.
  8. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Dunno, I'm just not into this bury a stash SHTF thing. Just me I guess, but if it ever happens which I highly doubt, your left with a rusty relic that you could have been shooting for pleasure.

Used to watch that show preppers about the people that stashed weapons and food across the country so they could hit the road and survive and never understood that either.
    Just me. If you want to bury a gun, go for it if it makes one feel better.

9. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

Guy I work with did that with $15k in cash and 3 1/2lbs of gold, cops found it when they searched his house. Needless to say it was seized.

akgriffin likes this.
  10. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

I was thinking of a battle pack of ammo and 6-7 magazines.