Campus Carry Bills 2017?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they decide a certain building is restricted, that means if you need to go in that building you can't carry your weapon on your way to and from the building, and if it's just one of many buildings you go to during the day, that pretty much means you can't carry all day.

Same for the "reasonable rules and regulations" in the senate bill.

Ed Zachary. This is not a good solution.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they decide a certain building is restricted, that means if you need to go in that building you can't carry your weapon on your way to and from the building, and if it's just one of many buildings you go to during the day, that pretty much means you can't carry all day.

This is how it works at UT, but only for certain sections of buildings. For example, chemistry labs where there are explosive chemicals that could be ignited with a gunshot; or places where there are lots of children like a preschool, or research lab that only studies children.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is how it works at UT, but only for certain sections of buildings. For example, chemistry labs where there are explosive chemicals that could be ignited with a gunshot; or places where there are lots of children like a preschool, or research lab that only studies children.

So that means that if you need to go in the chemistry lab, you can't carry to or from lab, which might mean all day.
I can see how it's not good to carry in the chem lab, so what could be a solution that would allow people to carry up to the lab?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's not what the bill says. It says:
Any building on college or university property that has a
restricted access entrance. As used in this paragraph, "restricted
access entrance" means an entrance that is restricted to the public
and requires a key, keycard, code or similar device to allow entry
to authorized personnel, students or faculty through the restricted
access entrance
[emphasis mine].

It means that the building must have a "restricted access entrance," not that the building is simply declared "restricted." So, back to my original question. If a "key, keycard, code, or similar device" is not required at a particular time, is entrance restricted?

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It means that the building must have a "restricted access entrance," not that the building is simply declared "restricted." So, back to my original question. If a "key, keycard, code, or similar device" is not required at a particular time, is entrance restricted?

I understand that, same difference either way.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of dorms have key card entrances, so this would mean nobody can carry in the dorms...?
Or to and from the dorm? In the parking lot at night?

There's just a lot of room for bs in this.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So that means that if you need to go in the chemistry lab, you can't carry to or from lab, which might mean all day.
I can see how it's not good to carry in the chem lab, so what could be a solution that would allow people to carry up to the lab?
Yes, it's an interesting problem, and one that UT hasn't found a solution for. Lots of proposed ideas, but none that will work (e.g., having a locker outside the area to temporarily store your gun in). My suspicion is that those areas are for the most part a "it's concealed, don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing, where is perceived as "safe" to do so. Some areas prevent carry without choice (i.e., around the fMRI machine, where it would pull it out of your holster and fly across the room). Another option is to try and utilize a close parking spot, and keep it in the car...but this is really difficult to do (there isn't much parking), and really expensive (where there is parking, you have to be rich to afford it).

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In general, would you say it's pretty easy to carry on the UT campus, or are there so many restrictions that it's not worth the trouble?

Yes, it's an interesting problem, and one that UT hasn't found a solution for. Lots of proposed ideas, but none that will work (e.g., having a locker outside the area to temporarily store your gun in). My suspicion is that those areas are for the most part a "it's concealed, don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing, where is perceived as "safe" to do so. Some areas prevent carry without choice (i.e., around the fMRI machine, where it would pull it out of your holster and fly across the room). Another option is to try and utilize a close parking spot, and keep it in the car...but this is really difficult to do (there isn't much parking), and really expensive (where there is parking, you have to be rich to afford it).

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some areas prevent carry without choice (i.e., around the fMRI machine, where it would pull it out of your holster and fly across the room).
Heh. Reminds me of a story I once read. Guy was carrying a 1911, and the MRI magnet did, in fact, pull it out of the holster and cause it to discharge. It sounds like a fantastic tale, one meant to cover up a negligent discharge, but the evidence supported no other conclusion: there was a discharge, but the spent casing was left in the chamber. The safety (which, for those not familiar with the 1911, prevents the slide from moving) was found to still be engaged, so the only explanation was the gun had struck (something) muzzle-first, causing the (inertial) firing pin to move forward and strike the primer; the round fired, but because the safety blocked any motion of the slide, the spent casing was not extracted and no new round chambered.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general, would you say it's pretty easy to carry on the UT campus, or are there so many restrictions that it's not worth the trouble?
It's very easy. The restrictions are very specific (as mentioned previously), and for the most part are the same restrictions we have outside of campus (e.g., no carry in bars, children's schools, etc. that are on campus).

Latest posts

Top Bottom