Can’t decide… Five year or 10 year permit renewal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone might be able to chime in with the specifics, but I have heard from a few people that coming soon, if you are buying a new firearm and have a 5 year license, you will be able to skip the background check portion of the 4473. 10 year licenses will still have to go through it. Anyone else heard the same thing?
LOL! That makes absolutely zero sense! But then it’s the government we’re talking about.
I have not heard this, but as I insinuated, nothing surprises me from the good ol US Government.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just renewed for 10 years. It shows it was approved July 9th on the SDA status check website. I've always done 5 year but get sick of paperwork.

I wouldn't be surprised if they authorize our CCW permit that it will be for those issued on or after the day they decide to allow it. That would screw over any current holders.

Kenny Ratliff

New to the site!
Reaction score
I know I’ve got three years to renew my permit after it expires but I would just rather not wait that long so here within the next couple weeks I’m gonna have to start my renewal process on my permit, I just don’t know if I want to apply for a 10 year thus time or continue on with another five year.

I currently have the five year, that’s what I initially opted for back in 2016 when I took the SDA course and all that stuff to get my permit. I’m not really looking to save any money because like for example, over the course of 20 years, if you would’ve started out with a 10 year permit and then renewed for another 10 your permit, it’s going to cost $370 but if you started out with a 5-year like I did and renew 3 more times then you’ll only spend $355 but like I said, I’m not worried about saving 15 bucks over a 20-year span but is it worth it to just buy a permit for that long of span? I mean sure, I know we have permitless carry now and whether or not anything changed about needing a permit to carry in an Oklahoma restaurant that serves alcohol, my purpose for renewing my permit is strictly for reciprocity reasons so that my carrying isn’t limited to just Oklahoma.

Should I just go for the 10 year or stick with the 5 year just in case something happens in the future?
Permit for what?
I know I’ve got three years to renew my permit after it expires but I would just rather not wait that long so here within the next couple weeks I’m gonna have to start my renewal process on my permit, I just don’t know if I want to apply for a 10 year thus time or continue on with another five year.

I currently have the five year, that’s what I initially opted for back in 2016 when I took the SDA course and all that stuff to get my permit. I’m not really looking to save any money because like for example, over the course of 20 years, if you would’ve started out with a 10 year permit and then renewed for another 10 your permit, it’s going to cost $370 but if you started out with a 5-year like I did and renew 3 more times then you’ll only spend $355 but like I said, I’m not worried about saving 15 bucks over a 20-year span but is it worth it to just buy a permit for that long of span? I mean sure, I know we have permitless carry now and whether or not anything changed about needing a permit to carry in an Oklahoma restaurant that serves alcohol, my purpose for renewing my permit is strictly for reciprocity reasons so that my carrying isn’t limited to just Oklahoma.

Should I just go for the 10 year or stick with the 5 year just in case something happens in the future?
Permit for what?>

Latest posts

Top Bottom