Can’t decide… Five year or 10 year permit renewal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I’ve got three years to renew my permit after it expires but I would just rather not wait that long so here within the next couple weeks I’m gonna have to start my renewal process on my permit, I just don’t know if I want to apply for a 10 year thus time or continue on with another five year.

I currently have the five year, that’s what I initially opted for back in 2016 when I took the SDA course and all that stuff to get my permit. I’m not really looking to save any money because like for example, over the course of 20 years, if you would’ve started out with a 10 year permit and then renewed for another 10 your permit, it’s going to cost $370 but if you started out with a 5-year like I did and renew 3 more times then you’ll only spend $355 but like I said, I’m not worried about saving 15 bucks over a 20-year span but is it worth it to just buy a permit for that long of span? I mean sure, I know we have permitless carry now and whether or not anything changed about needing a permit to carry in an Oklahoma restaurant that serves alcohol, my purpose for renewing my permit is strictly for reciprocity reasons so that my carrying isn’t limited to just Oklahoma.

Should I just go for the 10 year or stick with the 5 year just in case something happens in the future?

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the 10 year but that was before they said they're coming out with being able to use a 5 year license to use when buying a gun from an FFL. So there is that to consider now too.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone might be able to chime in with the specifics, but I have heard from a few people that coming soon, if you are buying a new firearm and have a 5 year license, you will be able to skip the background check portion of the 4473. 10 year licenses will still have to go through it. Anyone else heard the same thing?

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait, what? Are you guys basically saying that if I apply for just a five year permit that the next time I go to buy a handgun or I guess a long gun as well that I won’t have to do the background check portion as well?

I guess that does make sense, and I guess that also kind of explains why always sticking with a five-year renewal will save you a little bit of cash because you’re submitting yourself to a lot more background checks rather than only being background checked twice in a 20 year time span as opposed to four different times.

That would be neat I guess, avoiding the BC but in the five years time of having my permit, Ive bought five handguns and I had to do the background check on each one of them so I guess it makes no difference regardless… LOL.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait, what? Are you guys basically saying that if I apply for just a five year permit that the next time I go to buy a handgun or I guess a long gun as well that I won’t have to do the background check portion as well?

I guess that does make sense, and I guess that also kind of explains why always sticking with a five-year renewal will save you a little bit of cash because you’re submitting yourself to a lot more background checks rather than only being background checked twice in a 20 year time span as opposed to four different times.

That would be neat I guess, avoiding the BC but in the five years time of having my permit, Ive bought five handguns and I had to do the background check on each one of them so I guess it makes no difference regardless… LOL.
That is true but there are two caveats: The law won't go into effect until November 1st and only if the ATF approves of the changes in the law concerning SDA card expiration dates. Presently, there is a 90 day grace period from the expiration date but the ATF doesn't allow that if the state wants to let SDA card holders to be able to use their cards in lieu of background checks.

Also, this does not mean that you don't have to fill out the paperwork. It means that you won't have to wait for the approval from NICS. The FFL will still need the 4473 completed for their records.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might check in case it has changed but i thought about renewing mine last year and found you can only renew in the 6 months prior to expiration. In that context I would do it 4 months prior to make sure you have it back before yours expires.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might check in case it has changed but i thought about renewing mine last year and found you can only renew in the 6 months prior to expiration. In that context I would do it 4 months prior to make sure you have it back before yours expires.
Ok I misspoke it is 90 days prior to expiration with a 90 day grace period.
20210629_123331.jpg

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now how will all of this play into effect if ole sleepy Joe gets his wish and makes it statewide mandatory for all gun purchases to be BC’ed and whatever that waiting period was that he’s pushing for?

Latest posts

Top Bottom