Can’t decide… Five year or 10 year permit renewal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Life is uncertain. Stick with 5-year.
That is true but although on the other hand though, only having to deal with the renewal process once every decade is pretty nice but then again if I ever do buy another pistol someday, not having to put up with the background check portion will be pretty nice but as I stated above in my previous post, I guess that all depends on what our lovely commander in chief decides to do if he tries to push this…. Or well, if he’s successful in pushing the state wide background check stuff on us and even the waiting period.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone might be able to chime in with the specifics, but I have heard from a few people that coming soon, if you are buying a new firearm and have a 5 year license, you will be able to skip the background check portion of the 4473. 10 year licenses will still have to go through it. Anyone else heard the same

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arkansas already does which is get after have so many background checks to get your permit it streamlines the process. That being said I hipe they do that here.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I have heard that but I guess that’s just a whole other discussion on basically how we can flip the middle finger to a federal regulation…. If it passes.
We'll be a sanctuary state like all the others that won't actually defend anyone probably. We'll say we won't help the feds or whatever and at the same time we won't budget for defense of OK residents against them. The feds will stop budgeting for us. It'll be fun times.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see no advantage to the 10-year. It does not save you any money ($85/$170) and IF we get to use our permit to bypass the background check, it is very likely the ATFE will only recognize it for five years. Who knows what will transpire in the next five years? What's the use?

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You never know what will happen in the future, as has been said before. I kinda don't like things that go longer than three years forward. Obviously, some exceptions are made, like with cars and houses, cars can be taken with you, houses can be sold. I don't take employee bonuses for four years retainment, cause I don't know where I'll be. Things are different though, if your retired or are truly structured in your residential situation. It would be a shame to pay 10 years of licensure, to only use a couple years before moving. I would go for 5 years and that's what I plan to do soon for my February 2022 recertification.

Latest posts

Top Bottom