Can any military guys help me identify some patches?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad was in Okinawa

1650237240703.jpeg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s the other patch from my other grandfather on my mothers side. He was US Army. Stationed in Korea but after the Korean War. Can anyone shed some light on this? View attachment 266695
Echo what @rc508pir on unit. He was probably a mortarman and they had a mortar battery set up for probably the DMZ. When you see the US, Korean, and UN flags all together like that, it's usually a DMZ/Pan Mun Jom thing. That patch was probably on a "unit" jacket that they all wore, leather bomber type, or an athletic coaches type jacket like @Snattlerake posted. It's a motivational thing. Wayne should be his name. If Wayne isn't his name, then he probably cut that off someone's sh*t and took it home or something - like a trophy.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Echo what @rc508pir on unit. He was probably a mortarman and they had a mortar battery set up for probably the DMZ. When you see the US, Korean, and UN flags all together like that, it's usually a DMZ/Pan Mun Jom thing. That patch was probably on a "unit" jacket that they all wore, leather bomber type, or an athletic coaches type jacket like @Snattlerake posted. It's a motivational thing. Wayne should be his name. If Wayne isn't his name, then he probably cut that off someone's sh*t and took it home or something - like a trophy.

Thank you. And yes, Wayne was my grandads name.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah, I did have some pretty badass guys in my family. Had one great uncle serve in the pacific during WWII - He was USMC. I heard he was a badass.

then his brother was in France during WWII and captured a Nazi flag and I actually have ownership of it. Always gives me a weird vibe though when I get it out.

Don't feel weird about it. If you get down to the city, try to take in the 45th Infantry Museum over by NE 36th and Martin Luther King Blvd. They have an impressive display of Nazi regalia.

Or, scroll down through the pictures at this link to see some that are of Nazi memorabilia: 45th Infantry Museum - 12/2/2014

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah, I did have some pretty badass guys in my family. Had one great uncle serve in the pacific during WWII - He was USMC. I heard he was a badass.

then his brother was in France during WWII and captured a Nazi flag and I actually have ownership of it. Always gives me a weird vibe though when I get it out.

Follow up thought for your Nazi flag. It is an original flag and not a recreation or replica, and it was "liberated" by an American GI, one who is part of your family. In other words, it is historical in a very neat way.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly I’ll apologize for my idiocy on this topic since I’m not military savvy, I hope I explain correctly… I need help identifying these. Going through some of my late grandfathers things on my dads side and came across some patches. He was in the Navy and stationed in Japan in the early 1950’s. Found these patches but I’m not sure if they’re all his or if they are from another family member since I had some great uncles on my grandmothers side that were in WWII in various branches of the military. The box I was going through had a ton of pictures from his time in Japan and his ID cards but I didn’t see anything in the box that would have showed these patches were someone else’s other than my grandfathers uncle that was honorably discharged in 1924 (found his discharge papers) but they look more like USAAF than Navy, but I think his uncle was Army - I don’t really know, I should have looked at the papers closer. Thanks for any knowledge y’all can give me. I tried googling but couldn’t come up with anything. I have some patches from my other grandfather on my moms side that I will be asking about when I can find and take a picture of them also. View attachment 266688

I did some searching and found a military tribute sight with the patches you are talking about. Did a search using Navy patches with bees. Made me think of Sea Bees but didn’t look like any patches I’d seen before.

Here is the sight. I didn’t dig to much. Here is one to click on links
https://www.vpnavy.com/vu3.htmlThis one is the patch page
https://www.vpnavy.com/vu3_patch.html

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Follow up thought for your Nazi flag. It is an original flag and not a recreation or replica, and it was "liberated" by an American GI, one who is part of your family. In other words, it is historical in a very neat way.

I was going to get it framed with information of my great uncle I have but my wife hates looking at it and it may seem weird to have a Nazi flag hanging in my house. I’ll try to get it out today and post a photo of it.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to get it framed with information of my great uncle I have but my wife hates looking at it and it may seem weird to have a Nazi flag hanging in my house. I’ll try to get it out today and post a photo of it.
Its no longer a Nazi flag, its a war trophy, taken in victory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom