Can any military guys help me identify some patches?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do the red stripes on the rank patches mean the wearer had stood Captains mast?
Ya know, I thought this question was absurd thinking to myself, Self, why would they do that? humiliating someone like that? They don't do it in the other services, why would they?

Well, they do, and it takes a lot of years to get them changed.

Not anymore.

Starting June 1, all sailors over the 12-year service mark will be authorized to wear gold chevrons on their dress and service uniforms, a stark contrast to the red stripe worn by some senior enlisted sailors as a visible sign of misconduct from some point in their careers.

The current policy mandates that sailors who have received nonjudicial punishment or court-martials within the past 12 years wear red stripes. Sailors who already have reached the milestone had to restart the 12-year clock if they had further infractions. Each stripe represents four years of service, with the gold previously indicating good conduct.

While multiple enlisted sailors welcomed removal of the stigma associated with red stripes, others online cried foul on the CNP Facebook page, viewing their gold stripes as a badge of honor.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. the red chevrons are worn on Navy blue uniforms. The black are worn on summer white uniforms. Once you get 12 years good conduct the red turns to gold on winter blue uniforms. At least that was the way it was when I was in.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Not necessarily. Used to be that on dress blue uniforms the stripes were red until the wearer had reached 12 years of service with good conduct (no Art. 15s) It would have been a little uncommon in my time in the Navy, '80-92, to see an E-5/2nd class petty officer with 12 years of service good or bad. As an E-6/1st class petty officer I was about 2 weeks away from earning the privilege(requirement) of upgrading all my dress uniforms at my own expense with gold stripes when I got out.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know, I thought this question was absurd thinking to myself, Self, why would they do that? humiliating someone like that? They don't do it in the other services, why would they?

Well, they do, and it takes a lot of years to get them changed.

Not anymore.

Starting June 1, all sailors over the 12-year service mark will be authorized to wear gold chevrons on their dress and service uniforms, a stark contrast to the red stripe worn by some senior enlisted sailors as a visible sign of misconduct from some point in their careers.

The current policy mandates that sailors who have received nonjudicial punishment or court-martials within the past 12 years wear red stripes. Sailors who already have reached the milestone had to restart the 12-year clock if they had further infractions. Each stripe represents four years of service, with the gold previously indicating good conduct.

While multiple enlisted sailors welcomed removal of the stigma associated with red stripes, others online cried foul on the CNP Facebook page, viewing their gold stripes as a badge of honor.
Hmm , Back in the days the chevrons on the upper arm were the same color as the lower hash marks on conduct status.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And for all that don't know, the bird is known as a crow. Once you made third class petty office your new rank was tacked on via a fist to the area.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The big Korean patch is probably a combo patch someone in the unit drew up for a local Korean embroidery shop to reproduce.
That kind of stuff is still very common in Korea. I've seen this type of combo patches on silk jackets, pillows, silk shirts, and silk bathrobes.
View attachment 266713
We were alerted and send TDY over to Osan AB when the Pueblo was captured, not a pleasant trip, I did three more TDY's to that God forsaken place (68-69) after that, I hated it worse than Vietnam.

Latest posts

Top Bottom