Can Anyone Recommend a Good Attorney?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my wife sold her house in TX she carried a small portion of the selling price. The buyer is now alleging my wife failed to disclose some things and she's wanting the lien to be released in exchange for not suing. Personally, I think she's trying to run a scam but that's just speculation on my part.

We're looking for an attorney here just to write a few letters and such. If the situation gets to the point of litigation we have someone lined up in TX. But he's a little too pricey for this type of stuff.

I want someone experienced with these sorts of real estate contracts who can advise us on a course of action and let this woman know we're not playing her stupid games.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know where to look, but I'm sure there must be some registry or something that shows lawyers that specialize in land dealings, real estate and so on?
I've used a lawyer here in Ponca City that is very knowledgeable in land and real estate for the farm and the gun range I used to be an official at.
Tx law may be different than Oklahoma law. I'd look for a Tx lawyer.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're not "bargain" shopping for an attorney. I just don't want to pay $350 hr for someone to write a letter or two explaining that this woman just needs to honor the contract and we're not going to release the lien. As a matter of fact, this is what the pricey atty in TX recommended we do rather than pay him. And I agree. If it gets to the point of litigation, we'll be looking to an attorney we've already talked to and already received advice from.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's outright blackmail.

I'd say "Everything that was known wrong or broken at the time of the sale was disclosed. If you feel this isn't the case I encourage you to do what you feel you need to do. We will alert our attorney of your intentions so that he may prepare accordingly."

Whatever you do, do NOT mention eviction, repossession, etc. You can easily step on your peter in a back and forth with this looser, giving her enough rope to hang the both of you. Just say, 'ok buckwheat' and let her shoot off her mouth. Keep everything she writes, screenshot her texts if she texts, and record her calls. You can get a very nice recorder on Amazon for a few bucks. Here's the one I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014658DHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then just wait. If she sues, then you hire an attorney in Texas. But know that nine times out of 10 someone that threatens a lawsuit has no intention of going through with it. In fact, if she's broke and just hoping for a free house she might not be able to pay her loan. If she doesn't pay and you repossess her house, you'll have a house to sell again. That's good for business.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smart so far. That letter will cost you though. Lawyers get paid for what they went to school for, and that's shystering. Here's an online-oriented lawyer that handles real estate. He may cut you a deal for a letter only, but I'd be more willing to bet he'll charge you for an hour of time ($300-500) and do a full interview with you over the phone or email, then pencil out a letter.

On the upside if it does come to a court case at least you know he's OK with you being from out of town and has the capabilities to deal with long distance litigation.

Again, make sure you have screen shots of all those texts.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not an attorney, but as far as I know, everything will depend on exactly what the contract stated.

If the contract as the usual well written type, you should be ok and bozo-buyer really can't do much, to nothing, at all.

The trick is, did you use an attorney at closing, or at least a title company?

Call an attorney in Texas, most attorneys will give you a free 20-30 minutes consultation.

BTW, good attorneys ain't cheap, cheap attorneys ain't no good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom