Can for 556 AND 22lr. ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to hear it too. It was my first choice when I was preparing to buy my .30 caliber can. Unfortunately it was backordered everywhere I looked for up to six months (as was the Phantom Ti) but I found one Ti in stock and I liked the idea of it coming with the mount instead of having to buy it separately. I'd be interested in bringing the Phantom to a range at the same time you have your AAC there so I can do a side-by-side comparison.

Sure, though it may be a week or two before I have a chance. OKCGC work for you? Send me a pm and we'll meet up.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up my SDN-6. Love it. I run it on my 308 700 and 3 ARs. Use either Dustin or Jared at Harsh Firearms. Both awesome guys.

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
if your can lets your 223 auto sound louder than an unsuppressed .22lr rifle, the can's no good. Ditto if you fire it at night, and there is any muzzleflash at all. See, what happens is that most can makers can't be bothered to hold decent tolerances, so they put a 3/8" ID hole thru the baffles for a .224" OD bullet! That's a lot of hooey. With subsonic .22lr ammo, the 223 can should be bb gun quiet. Look at the "snap on' models from SureFire, the flashlight company

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if your can lets your 223 auto sound louder than an unsuppressed .22lr rifle, the can's no good. Ditto if you fire it at night, and there is any muzzleflash at all. See, what happens is that most can makers can't be bothered to hold decent tolerances, so they put a 3/8" ID hole thru the baffles for a .224" OD bullet! That's a lot of hooey. With subsonic .22lr ammo, the 223 can should be bb gun quiet. Look at the "snap on' models from SureFire, the flashlight company

While I do agree that some cans are better than others, you will still have the sonic boom from the .223/5.56 bullet as it is traveling 3 times the speed of sound and NO suppressor can do anything about that.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I can tell you that my 5.56 Kestrel dry is quieter than a bb gun using Aguila 40 grain subsonic .22 LR out of a 10.5" barrel. It's beyond Hollywood quiet when wet.

ETA: gratuitous pic

Last edited:

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you'd never even CONSIDER having a .30 rifle, why would you buy a .30 can?

Because you can always go smaller, but you can never go bigger. "What if" plays a major part here. With the growing popularity of 6.x and 7.62mm based AR platforms the ability to use a .30 caliber suppressor on all calibers of that or smaller is a big plus if you ever decide to move up from 5.56 and still have acceptable sound reduction.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not a single word of this post is correct except, " With subsonic .22lr ammo, the 223 can should be bb gun quiet."

The rest of it shows a complete lack of understanding about what a 5.56 can is supposed to accomplish.

I am not posting this for the many users here that know, but for the newbees who may be mislead by such foolishness.

Latest posts

Top Bottom