Can I trade my 80% Glock legally?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who told you that it was illegal to sell a firearm built from an 80% lower? Whoever did knows nothing about 80% receivers and it's regulations. The only stipulation on the 80% receivers is that you 'cannot build it with the intent of selling for profit'. In other words, yo cannot make it a business without an FFL.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Slim Deal. To my knowledge you can sell your 80% lower, but you cant go into business finishing 80% lowers or selling 80% lowers.
I read an article a few years back where a guy was in deep water with the jack boots over selling 80% lowers and then giving guys access to his machine shop and helping them finish them out.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the link above...

Additional Identifying Marks
Federal law does not require a homemade gun to have an identifying marker (such as a serial number), as long as it remains in the possession of the original maker. However, if the gun is subsequently sold or otherwise transferred, it should be marked prior to its disposition. The ATF suggests that all homemade firearms be marked with a serial number as a safeguard in the event the firearm is lost or stolen, but requires it if the gun is otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who told you that it was illegal to sell a firearm built from an 80% lower? Whoever did knows nothing about 80% receivers and it's regulations. The only stipulation on the 80% receivers is that you 'cannot build it with the intent of selling for profit'. In other words, yo cannot make it a business without an FFL.

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a nonsporting semi-automatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency. [18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Latest posts

Top Bottom