Can I use…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So when y'all are saying to backoff a little on the powder load, is that off of the minimum amount they show in the book?
I usually back off the max load stated in the book when going to a mag primer.
If you are at the minimum load and change primers you will be fine at least in my testing in 38-357 and 45.
Then work your way up and watch for signs.

I have changed primers with ball powder in .223 cases and seen as much as 100 fps difference between primers.
When I tested the same primers with stick powder and in .223 there was not any more than 25fps difference.

With that in mind different powders will absolutely act different when you begin trying different primers.

Small primer 45 has been around for quite some time.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So when y'all are saying to backoff a little on the powder load, is that off of the minimum amount they show in the book?

back off of your pet load. So, for me if I’m doing

4.0 grains of TiteGroup with a standard primer,

I’d want to back off 10% - - 4.0 minus 0.4 = 3.6 gn with a magnum primer.

So in my case I’d probably load up

5 rounds @ 3.5

5 rounds @ 3.6

5 rounds @ 3.7

5 rounds @ 3.8

and see where that got me. Likely 3.5 wouldn’t cycle/eject reliably and 3.8 would feel too hot. I’d probably end up right at the middle two.

hope that helps.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use shotgun powder exclusively for 9mm. I’ve been barked at a few times on the internet for it. I tell them it’s okay to cross over shotgun to pistol generally, but not the other way around. But - ya Gotta be smart and safe at any rate.

The powder I started with was the only powder I could find after the Obama inauguration - Alliant Blue Dot. Haven’t used it since and moved onto Red Dot and Clay Dot. Accurate and low recoiling. That’s all I need!
I used blue dot in .40 cal for a long time with sissy loads to punch paper and ding steel. Had a very unique smell after firing.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mag primers: Most of my loads are more middle of the road except for a couple of specialty rounds. I have used Mag primers in place of standard. I backed off the load a bit and made sure I stayed above minimum load. My understanding, right/wrong/indifferent, is for safety never go below the minimum load. Too little powder in too much space can give you problems better left unexperienced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom