Can paperwork

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhayt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a engineering/machining background and would like to turn some of my ideas to life. In order to make my own can, I understand I need a stamp, but do I also need a class III manufacturer's license?

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
only if you plan on selling the item(s)
If they are strictly for your enjoyment, then you need to form1 with the serial number that you will create for the item you will build.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a engineering/machining background and would like to turn some of my ideas to life. In order to make my own can, I understand I need a stamp, but do I also need a class III manufacturer's license?

only if you plan on selling the item(s)
If they are strictly for your enjoyment, then you need to form1 with the serial number that you will create for the item you will build.

Like jeffsoward already pointed out, if you want to make one for your own use, you can file a Form 1 and when it is approved you can build your can. It allows you to make 1 can and you cannot have any spare parts for it.

If you want to build cans as a business you would need an 07/02 FFL/SOT manufacturers license. The term "class III" refers to 01/03 FFL/SOT's which are dealers in NFA weapons, not manufacturers of them.

dhayt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing it up. Do the prints have to be detailed and the parts exactly to match, or is there room for adjustments? I want the can to be optimized, and I don't think I'm going to get everything exactly right on the first try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom