Can we get rid of bounty hunters now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
These guys reportedly identified themselves as federal agents to the dealership while they waited for the bond jumper to show up.
Stand-up fellas for sure. Like anything else there are good ones and bad ones. These guys sound desperate and believed they were above the law, a common theme I am sure. I know some Bounty Hunters pretty well, they are business owners that only go after their own jumpers. Heck, their old men now. The business makes them a decent living, jumpers are a pain and usually the perps family gives them up.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the guys seemed a little long in the tooth and was a member of the Texas Association of Licensed Investigators...even though it looks like his license had lapsed.

I think it might've been a little complacency and loose enforcement of the licensing requirements. Dude had been doing it so long he figured nobody would care if he skirted some rules.

Crappy deal either way.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like a lot of other things, laws would have to be changed. IIRC, they get their "authority" from federal laws that probably date back to the old west.
Actually, it is mentioned in the US Constitution, and gives them powers beyond usual law enforcement. Remember, the offender who borrowed their money signed a document agreeing to a lot of things, including being returned forcibly if they skipped out. The skip is not an innocent victim.
Are there bad apples? Do you judge every profession by the worst example?

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They shouldn't have even been there according to preliminary reports.

Texas only allows licensed private investigators to perform "bounty hunter" work. Neither of these guys were holders of a current investigator license.

They were commissioned security officers and are required to wear a uniform specified under Texas law (visible company name and employee name etc...) and may only perform security work for their employer.

These guys reportedly identified themselves as federal agents to the dealership while they waited for the bond jumper to show up.

Texas LAW allows you to defend yourself and KILL anyone you think is a threat. Texas has an express lane to the death penalty.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas LAW allows you to defend yourself and KILL anyone you think is a threat. Texas has an express lane to the death penalty.

There's a difference between defending yourself and getting into a gunfight while working outside of the legal scope of your duties....IF that is the case here. Like I said, initial reporting, which is often wrong.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bail Enforcement (Bounty Hunting) is now regulated in OK. (Title 59). Special training, education, and a license are required. It is in the best interest of the public to have bail jumping felons apprehended and the police do not have the resources to do it. A few short years ago anyone could bounty hunt, including convicted felons. Those days are now gone. As is true with any profession or trade, there will be a few bad apples. As a criminal defense attorney who represents several bondspersons, I can tell you that the profession has been greatly improved in Oklahoma.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It appears to be heavily regulated in most states, and some states have done away with them completely.

The only constitutional reference I can find is to bail itself, in the 8th, which speaks to excessive bail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom