Can we talk about generators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is for "General Discussion" or "Preppers Corner" forum but...

Can we talk about generators?

I'm curious what you folks would recommend or have had good luck with?

I have a "Storm Responder" (I think) from Briggs/Stratton. Runs well and has an 8500/5000 output. Again, I think. not going to run thru the snow to verify!!

So, I've been thinking about what I would like in a new generator.

Happens every time we have a weather event!

It's not that there is anything wrong with this generator, it runs well and whenever I try to start it.

It has saved my bacon several times and runs like a champ.

It's just that I'd like more power and maybe a few options.

Something around 10,000 to 12,000

Electric Start with Pull start option

Battery charges when generator running

Wheels

Maybe dual fuel (propane and gasoline) that can be switched while running

Easy to access, change and visualize oil.

120/240 Volt AC Locking Receptacle

Ability to run approximately 12 hours on 1 tank of gasoline

Reliable

Not sure what else would be on my wish list

So, what do you all say?

What other options would you look at?

What brand and model do you have experience with and recommend? Not "I've read a cool advertisement" but actually have a history with.

Thanks

Dave

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Work runs a 2500kw and a 2000kw Kohler generators. One on natural gas, one on diesel, they chooch like they should.

My cousin hooked up a Kohler 20kw natural gas generator to his house, it'll power his entire property when the power fails and ran his welding shop until he got power out there.

When it came down to investing in my own whole home generator, I opted for the same Kohler 20kw natural gas model. It's still sitting in his shop waiting to be installed, but I've been pretty impressed with how reliable they've been over the last fifteen years.

The few times Ibe had to run a generator at home, the little Honda EU2000i has been a champ. It's enough to run my heater ignitor/blower, tv, and antenna. I have an older Yamaha 8500w model on wheels, but it's such a pain to get out and start, I haven't ran it since I got the Honda. I wouldn't want to run one on propane in these temps. Even thougj it keeps real well, the freezing issue with bottles is a killer for me. It'd have to be plumbed to an lp tank. Now after this storm, I'm second guessing the natural gas lol.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
GENERAC UNIT 2.jpg
GENERAC UNIT 3.JPG

16KW whole house. Best investment I have done besides the security system.

Faith Electric

Last edited:

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re in a situation conducive to it I’d look at the PTO run generators. A 40hp tractor will run a 20kw generator with ease, you’re not paying for a motor that rarely gets used, and you don’t have to worry about trouble moving it, or engine trouble, assuming you use your tractor often enough.
The permanent placed Generac a family member has (propane run, automatically kicks on if power is lost) seems to do well.
I’ve got a couple kubotas that won’t die, both 20 years old, but they tend to have some small issues due disuse and neither are big enough to run a total electric home.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live on land zoned agricultural. If I'm reading things right I can get a farm tax exemption, buy a larger tractor than I would have otherwise to power a PTO generator and get a tax deduction for the depreciation of the tractor. I can also get a tank to store diesel fuel for the tractor and fill it with dyed diesel that doesn't get charged the road taxes. Or a standalone diesel generator and smaller tractor, both using dyed diesel, but then I can't deduct the depreciation on the generator. It'd be nice to have 150 or 300 gallons of diesel stored for an emergency.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honda. We use a set of the Sine wave EUI 2000 watt and they are tied together for 4000 watts for our RV’s. A 9000 Honda for the house.
I start them religiously every 5 weeks. Let them warm up, put a load on them. They have never failed with SeaFoam additive in the fuel for storage. We travel a lot and they have set for 3 months and no issues.

We are looking to buy or build our last home, it will have a whole house Generac on dual fuel Nat gas/Propane. We have owned two on homes, they are nice when needed.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re in a situation conducive to it I’d look at the PTO run generators. A 40hp tractor will run a 20kw generator with ease, you’re not paying for a motor that rarely gets used, and you don’t have to worry about trouble moving it, or engine trouble, assuming you use your tractor often enough.
The permanent placed Generac a family member has (propane run, automatically kicks on if power is lost) seems to do well.
I’ve got a couple kubotas that won’t die, both 20 years old, but they tend to have some small issues due disuse and neither are big enough to run a total electric home.
These are great for farmers who want to power remote pumps/ welders.... For home use i would not recommend. The trouble is that a homes load can swing quite a bit quite often and a tractor has no way of getting feedback from the head and responding accordingly. Your Hz will be all over the place and some electronics hate that.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live on land zoned agricultural. If I'm reading things right I can get a farm tax exemption, buy a larger tractor than I would have otherwise to power a PTO generator and get a tax deduction for the depreciation of the tractor. I can also get a tank to store diesel fuel for the tractor and fill it with dyed diesel that doesn't get charged the road taxes. Or a standalone diesel generator and smaller tractor, both using dyed diesel, but then I can't deduct the depreciation on the generator. It'd be nice to have 150 or 300 gallons of diesel stored for an emergency.

Stand-alone generator ... if it is for business use then I’m sure you can depreciate it. Talk to your accountant

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Diesel Fuel does not do well stored long term, it takes some diligent effort to do so. We have several Diesel tanks and the fuel is treated, but it is used up on a continuous basis. On a Generator I believe propane/Nat gas is best option. We have a couple PTO Gen sets, they are great for working away from live electric source, but they will suck some fuel as we have no small tractors.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Tractor is a write off, generator is a write off (I do so, as it is used on the farm). Diesel and tank as well.

The above information about changes in current is good to consider, and I’d ask Ty for more on that, sounds like he knows a good deal more than me about electricity (I only have a rudimentary working knowledge). I believe the understanding I had was to idle the tractor up to compensate for any extra pull it might get during usage, but that may not even be the correct way to do it. I just always liked that you could get so much more KW output for the money because you’re using a power plant you have to have anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom