Can you waterfowl/dove hunt in city limits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We hunt there as well as Edmond road and Portland. You can hunt fowl with a shotgun as long as you are 300 feet from a roadway or dwelling. Limited out on goose and dove many times where Westfield elementary school is. The field west of life church where Valencia neighborhood is used to be phenomenal! We hunted it for a few years.
Edit:we knew the landowners and had permission

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crap like this is why it's nearly impossible to get land owner permission anymore. Guys like you who think they can just hunt wherever they want are ruining it for people like myself and others who will actually find out who owns the land and go ask them face to face for permission only to have them say no because they're tired of idiots trespassing on their land. I really wish there were stiffer penalties for trespassing and hunting illegally.

You all that are landowners correct me if I'm wrong. I hate to rant like this but crap you can't just go hunt wherever you want. That's stupid.
We have that with hunter and fishers. If they see water, drop a line in it. If they see trees, cut the fence and park your RV and hunt deer.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crap like this is why it's nearly impossible to get land owner permission anymore. Guys like you who think they can just hunt wherever they want are ruining it for people like myself and others who will actually find out who owns the land and go ask them face to face for permission only to have them say no because they're tired of idiots trespassing on their land. I really wish there were stiffer penalties for trespassing and hunting illegally.

You all that are landowners correct me if I'm wrong. I hate to rant like this but crap you can't just go hunt wherever you want. That's stupid.

Yep, we were trespassing but it was a field surrounded by a mall, a retirement home, and churches. The crop was abandoned, there were no fences, no signs, and the property looked to be destined for commercial property. Yep, we trespassed but our thought was nobody would care. In fact, I saw several others hunting the property in the following days.

So, calm down - nobody cut fences, nobody crossed fences, nobody ignored a sign, nobody went onto a property that looked to be occupied or intended for hunting by the owner, and we cleaned-up after ourselves.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, we were trespassing but it was a field surrounded by a mall, a retirement home, and churches. The crop was abandoned, there were no fences, no signs, and the property looked to be destined for commercial property. Yep, we trespassed but our thought was nobody would care. In fact, I saw several others hunting the property in the following days.

So, calm down - nobody cut fences, nobody crossed fences, nobody ignored a sign, nobody went onto a property that looked to be occupied or intended for hunting by the owner, and we cleaned-up after ourselves.
Yep. You didn't cut fences, didn't cross fences nor did you ignore a sign. You did go on someone's land that has never seen you in their life. You cleaned up and that's good. Not sure why that's good you cleaned up your stuff, but you did not ask. Most of us would say yes, but we we darn sure want to be asked.
That's why you see "NO HUNTING FISHING OR TRESPASSING" on just about every acre of land. People don't ask.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. You didn't cut fences, didn't cross fences nor did you ignore a sign. You did go on someone's land that has never seen you in their life. You cleaned up and that's good. Not sure why that's good you cleaned up your stuff, but you did not ask. Most of us would say yes, but we we darn sure want to be asked.
That's why you see "NO HUNTING FISHING OR TRESPASSING" on just about every acre of land. People don't ask.
Fair enough and having aged a few years, I would likely seek out owner permission today. But, I don't buy the comment that landowners won't give permission to hunt because of trespassers in the past. I've asked for permission several times to hunt on land that was posted with no hunting signs but still received permission to hunt. There have been several times the answer was a cordial no because the owner hunts it himself.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough and having aged a few years, I would likely seek out owner permission today. But, I don't buy the comment that landowners won't give permission to hunt because of trespassers in the past. I've asked for permission several times to hunt on land that was posted with no hunting signs but still received permission to hunt. There have been several times the answer was a cordial no because the owner hunts it himself.
Well as one of those that have had, and continue to have, trespassers you're dead wrong.
Ask a few landowners that run cattle and see what they say.
How about I just go in your backyard and set up a camp and start popping off my 308? Your back yard is not posted and it looks like you weren't using it so why not.
Have a few people (you have never met) come on the property every year without permission. Land you worked a lifetime to own and some guy thinks "I'll just hunt there".
Buy land suitable and hunt there or just be decent and ask the landowner.
Accept what he says (yes or no). It's his land. He earned it.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well as one of those that have had, and continue to have, trespassers you're dead wrong.
Ask a few landowners that run cattle and see what they say.
How about I just go in your backyard and set up a camp and start popping off my 308? Your back yard is not posted and it looks like you weren't using it so why not.
Have a few people (you have never met) come on the property every year without permission. Land you worked a lifetime to own and some guy thinks "I'll just hunt there".
Buy land suitable and hunt there or just be decent and ask the landowner.
Accept what he says (yes or no). It's his land. He earned it.
Again, no cattle were on the property we hunted, there were no residences on the property we hunted, and there was only an abandoned crop in a field destined for commercial use. Therefore, you are comparing apples and oranges with your comments. And, I agree - we should get owner permission to hunt or fish property but this case seemed like an anomaly. Frankly, leased hunting rights or owned land is the only way to go anymore.

I think we have derailed this thread enough. The OP wanted to know about hunting within city limits. I provided an example where it was allowed by law enforcement.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, no cattle were on the property we hunted, there were no residences on the property we hunted, and there was only an abandoned crop in a field destined for commercial use. Therefore, you are comparing apples and oranges with your comments. And, I agree - we should get owner permission to hunt or fish property but this case seemed like an anomaly. Frankly, leased hunting rights or owned land is the only way to go anymore.

I think we have derailed this thread enough. The OP wanted to know about hunting within city limits. I provided an example where it was allowed by law enforcement.
You're right. But I will note that your back yard has no cattle on it nor crops and I don't think it's destined for commercial use.
Ha!

Latest posts

Top Bottom