Cancer Sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that brother! Cancer is terrible. Pondering life and death certainly puts things into perspective. The days go by slow and the years go by fast. Cherish each day!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as someone battling cancer sometimes I wish I could just go to sleep and not wake up. I'm still fighting, but man I'm worn down. I will say do the things you want to do tomorrow isn't promised
My old boss said he felt that way when he was fighting cancer. That would've been about 30 years ago. Ironically enough, he survived the cancer, but the damage to his heart from the radiation treatment was what finally did him in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That it does. Just personally, my dad, father in law, uncle, two aunts lost the battle as far as family. I've never counted how many friends who've had it, some beat it, others didn't. Some that beat it defied the odds of survival, just wasn't their time I guess. Probably 3 or 4 dozen folks if I were to count.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lost my maternal Grandmother to the effects of Alzheimer’s in 2011 and my Dad to cancer in 2014, and I wouldn’t wish either on my worst enemy.
I learned a lot about death and dying from my Dad, and I have absolutely no fear of it.
I haven’t been to a doctor of any kind since 2004, and I tell my family all the time that if I’m going to die tomorrow I want to be just as surprised as everyone else.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lost my father and two good friends to cancer. As mentioned by others, it indeed robs you of everything. These three men that I admired dearly were all in very good health for their respective ages, and to see them deteriorate right before your eyes, is just heart wrenching.

So sorry for your loss, Gene. I feel your pain. I know exactly the emptiness, loneliness, sadness and anger you feel deep inside. I know it's cliche, but, time does heal. I can finally (after 4 years) hear a certain song that was my father's favorite, and not burst into tears...sometimes. :comfort:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad had cancer, passed at 57. His Dad, at 51. His oldest brother was 51. His oldest sister was 52.
I am 65, living everyday like it is my last.

Several friends and other family members, too.
Mom was a 18 yr survivor. Wif is battling.
Yes, cancer sux.
M-i-L had Alzheimers. Worse than cancer.

Fast or slow?
IMO, fast is best for yourself, hardest on family. Slow is hard on everybody, but you have that chance to prepare and say goodbyes.

Preparing your finances, estate, final wishes, should be done immediately. Tomorrow is not promised.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cancer sucks.

My Nephew just passed away from Cancer. He was a member here, but I didn't know that until a few months ago. I can't recall his screen name, and out of respect to his immediate family I won't post any other details about him or his surviving family.

Cancer sucks. I don't know how else to say it.

Oddly enough, cancer does not run in our family, as it does in some families. Apparently, his cancer was caused by something else.

My heart always goes out to those who have cancer and their families as well. It's awful.

And, also oddly enough, I never really knew anyone closely who had cancer. I'm old enough now to be signing up soon for Medicare and Social Security, and in all my years I just didn't really know someone with cancer. Sure, I had acquaintances with cancer, but no close friends with it, and I had co-workers who had cancer, but not a single one that I was related by blood or was very close friends or family with had cancer, so I never really was especially affected by such.

Having said that, my best friend passed away a little over 2 years ago from cancer. When he got it, he was told he had 4 months, and sure enough, it was right at 4 months before he passed. It was rough, it was awful, my heart went out to him for the pain and suffering and the disappointment of what was a promising future and upcoming retirement that he did not get to have.

Right now, I have a female relative battling breast cancer, and fortunately it seems that she has beaten it and will survive, but goodness gracious the treatment she has had to endure is no cake walk, it's brutal.

And, I have a female friend who has cancer, and as I understand it, there is no cure. She has 4 children. My heart is broken for her and her family too.

And, while I'm at it, Dementia sucks too. My ex passed way from Dementia a few years ago, the same as her Mother had Dementia and passed away years before her, and her Father passed from Cancer.

To close this, for many years I've wondered about Dying. It's going to happen to each of us, of course. I have asked this question to myself and to quite a few people over the years: "Which is better, to die quickly, instantly, without pain and suffering? Or is it better to die slowly, so that you may have time to make your final arrangements, get your affairs in order, and time to say goodbye to those you Love?"

I believe there is no right or wrong answer to that question. Perhaps somewhere in the middle, I don't know.

Hold your family and friends close, forgive those who have done you wrong, ask for forgiveness, get your heart set to the Heavenly Father and Trust Him for your Eternal Salvation.

Life is short, Life is precious.
In my wife's family just about every one of her relatives passed from Dementia or Alzheimer's. On my side almost all with cancer. I have had Lung, Stomach and now skin cancer. My Dermatologist is operating on my left forearm on the 20th. I would not wish to die slowly as it took my Grandfather in 1946 to die a agonizing death as it did my Father in 1981. They were not related genetically. My Mom passed in 1979 from stomach cancer but passed in two days at 63. She was bleeding to death inside and we didn't know she was passing Black Stools. My brother passed in 2016 from Alzheimer's the first in my family to do so. I am eighty five and I have just about seen it all and dying slowly is awful. I quit the job I was on and spent five months with my Dad every day at the Hospital until he passed. Only advice I can give all who reads my post is: Get a Upper and Lower Gi every three years and chest Xray Even though the prep is a ***** at least you will know one way or another. Mine is coming up again very soon. So I have to get my Butt cleaned out. It is for my own good!

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad had cancer, passed at 57. His Dad, at 51. His oldest brother was 51. His oldest sister was 52.
I am 65, living everyday like it is my last.

Several friends and other family members, too.
Mom was a 18 yr survivor. Wif is battling.
Yes, cancer sux.
M-i-L had Alzheimers. Worse than cancer.

Fast or slow?
IMO, fast is best for yourself, hardest on family. Slow is hard on everybody, but you have that chance to prepare and say goodbyes.

Preparing your finances, estate, final wishes, should be done immediately. Tomorrow is not promised.
That is very true and I will always think in these modern times that there is a cure. Just look at who would lose the most money if there was a cure.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cancer does indeed suck!

Cancer killed my father and one of my very best friends. We know several other people who are either battling it or have loved ones who died from it. As for me, I went in Wednesday for a biopsy, just praying it comes back negative.

Prayers for all who are fighting it or have loved ones who have it or succumbed to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom