canik tp9sfx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devildog88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had been browsing the cheaper 9mms and looking for ones with decent triggers that were still on the cheaper end. I own a walther pps m2, so I had looked at the pdp(which also seemed really nice), but settled one a manufacturer I had zero guns from. I watched a few reviews and figured I would give it a try. One range trip and 100 rounds later, I am very happy with my purchase. I settled on a Canik TP9sfx with a vortex red dot on it. The pistol shoots far better than I do with me managing a 5 inch grouping at 20 or so yards. It shot well within my acceptable limits and just thought I would pass on some highs and lows I saw with it.

First off, it came with 2-20 round mags, assorted mag release height buttons, 4 optics plates, a holster, and a toolkit. Very nice assortment of gear and the holster seems usable. The viper red dot seems fine. Eventually I would like to put a shake awake option on it, but fine for now. The pistol feels good in my hands, medium size grip. The trigger is fantastic, very similar to the walther trigger except more initial take-up I think. Take-down is pretty simple. It has an accessory rail and cuts in the slide near the front and rear for grip points. It even comes with a small charging handle though I have never seen one used on a pistol.

As far as cons, I wish the grip was maybe a bit more sticky/aggressive, but it will be serviceable. I may add grip tape to it. For now that is the only negative thing I have to say about it. We will see how it runs by round 1000, but I expect it to be fine. I had zero issues with the first 50 115 grain fmj I put through it, but did have some ejection issues on a couple of handloads. It likes the hotter rounds and my handloads were likely a little soft. I attribute this to my fault rather that the pistol's. I will turn it up a notch for this gun in future reloads.

Last edited:

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How would you compare triggers on the Canik and walther? In my opinion, TP9s have the eat trigger of any stock striker pistol. However, I don’t have any experience with Walther.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a TP9sf. The trigger take up was VERY gritty but had a VERY clean break.

What I absolutely HATED about the gun, was that it was heavy as hell (for a polymer frame) and the grip was incredibly slick. Felt like it was going to pop out of my hand like a greased pig

devildog88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think it was heavy at all. It is 1.9 pounds and 5.2 inches of barrel, 8.3 overall. I also didn't feel much grit in this trigger, just a lot of initial take-up. By comparison the walther pdp 4.5 inch I was looking at was 22.3 ounces in the 18 round version. The 5 inch would be a bit more I assume, but seems pretty comparable. The beretta apx 4.25 is another I looked at...26.8 ounces. I may be missing something, but they all felt light compared to a 1911, which is what I have logged the most time with.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a Canik (Turkish, pronounced "zha-neek") Stingray C. With a 3.5" barrel, all metal, and heavy(!), it was the 2nd-best carry gun that I've ever owned. Excellent ergonomic design [fit my hands, anyway]. Affordable and accurate, it was very high-quality material/workmanship - the manufacturing plant is ISO2000 certified. But most importantly, the Stingray was absolutely dependable. 14+1 capacity, it included 2 extra mags, and it had a crisp trigger. The only thing I could complain about was the owners' manual... it was tiny, and had been translated from Turkish into English - but NOT by an English professor! LOL :burnout:

When I started carrying the Springfield XD (now the Mod2), I gave the Stingray to my younger brother. Sadly, the Stingray is no longer in production, so I haven't been able to buy a replacement. But if I can ever find a used one in good condition, I'll buy it immediately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom