Canning Flats (lids)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very odd timing on this post.
I was just thinking about 1 hour ago about telling this forum about lids for canning and that I reuse them.

Yes I reuse them.
I have read and been told you can't do that but in my way of thinking I ask why?

I then science it all out.
I know what happens when a lid seals the rubber gets softer as it is warmed and makes a seal like any other gasket it can seal and reseal many times.
How many times the lids can be reused depends on if you tore it or smushed it to the point it will not reseal.
Or if the lid has scratches or rust. It is a fail then and retired to the garage or trash/recycle can.

They could make nice targets also.

I always boil my lids before using them as this softens the rubber and makes them seal nicely.
I stick them on the jars Hot.

Now if you do not find the reuse of lids appealing and are a bit scared of it then try it on some Jam or Jelly something that is not critical.

I say not critical because the fridge can save the day and Jelly will usually last a stupid long time in the fridge opened.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tattler or harvest guard are reusable. Watch the tattler video on how to use them and they will work. I see a lot of people over tighten the ball/kerr lids and have failures.

I’m a novice at canning, I believe I read that the rings are just supposed to keep the flat in place during canning and you should remove them after the lid seals. So, I think you’re right and people probably try to screw the rings down too tight thinking that the lids will seal better.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tough to source new flats for canning. We have several rings and jars but the lids are in short supply.

Ordered a sleeve of 100 online to get by.

Don't know about now but a few years ago when there was a shortage on canning jars, lids and rings Winco on 19th in Moore was the only place folks were finding them (Ball brand).........Winco is only ten miles or so from me and I wouldn't mine making the trip tomorrow morning if you're in a bind, just let me know what you want and how many and if it's available I'll pick some up for you.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know about now but a few years ago when there was a shortage on canning jars, lids and rings Winco on 19th in Moore was the only place folks were finding them (Ball brand).........Winco is only ten miles or so from me and I wouldn't mine making the trip tomorrow morning if you're in a bind, just let me know what you want and how many and if it's available I'll pick some up for you.
Appreciate the offer. I should be good though. The lids should be delivered tomorrow. Thank you for the offer to help out.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think I saw a few (Ball or Kerr?) in the pantry a while back, but they're probably 30+ years old and I'd be kinda leery of using 'em.

A canning lid shortage in an apocalypse scenario is more/less comparable to an ammo shortage. :lookaroun

Latest posts

Top Bottom