Canning lids....here we go again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Started my quest for wide mouth canning jar lids and some of the prices on Amazon and eBay are insane! I'm not paying $1 per lid so kept searching. Cheapest Ball lids I can find are right at $6 for 12 lids(no bands included). When I was in WalMart yesterday, they seem to have moved all that to online shopping only. At least that's what the uber intelligent 17 year old kid told me.

Thought maybe if we find some lids locally at a good price then can let others here know. My Mom made the mistake last year of not looking closely at the online posting which said they are for Kerr/Ball Mason jars not made by Kerr/Ball. They're generic lids and didn't seal as well.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have posted too soon. Walmart.com shows they have Ball wide mouth at a few locations - just not either of the ones closest to me. We've got an Ace also but generally their selection isn't as good.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never even heard of reusable canning lids! Thanks for the links. Gonna ask Mom because she's just always bought Kerr lids each year(last 50 years?).

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wallymart dot com uses a nearby wallymart store near me (NW HWY & Council OKC), you can get 6 of the Ball brand regular mouth at a time for $2.97 although they were actually $2.47 inside the store, and this is for curbside pickup. The Ball brand wide mouth are indeed $12.95 each box of 12 which is highway robbery. However, and this is weird, they have the 12 pack box of wide mouth rings and lids both for $5.97. Weird huh? Depending on where you live you might go online and get what you can from that store for curbside pickup, and then change stores online and get what you can at another wallymart.

I figured this was coming from the exact same situation last year.

Your local grocery stores, and you an ask the store manager to order you some in if he can get them. Hardware stores, Target (order online for store pickup, or ship). I don't know if Atwoods or Tractor Supply might have lids, but I did see a lot of the boxes of jars at the Atwoods in Yukon/I-40 2 weeks ago. Maybe a farm co-op.

If you really need them really bad, and you can get a case, then just buy it. Costs more up front, but you could sell some to someone else and do ok dollar-wise, or have more on hand for next year.

I tell ya what, this shortage of this that and the other sucks bigtime.

I can too, and I am not afraid of the Golden Harvest brand of lids. Golden Harvest is the same company that is Ball and Kerr. If you see Golden Harvest get them.

Can you tell me where you are and how many you might need? I'll check around here for you. You can private message me if you want.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just checking online, the wallymart at Belle Isle (Penn Square Mall area) shows to have the Ball brand wide mouth, pack of one dozen wide mouth for $3.18, limit 6 at a time. Order that for curbside pickup and walk in today and there should be no limit for you grabbing off of the shelf.

Wallymart at Meridian and Reno/I-40 shows to have the Ball wide mouth in stock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom