Canning lids....here we go again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i picked up a vacuum sealer at goodwill that looks basically brand new. we'll see it if functions, but it was $3.99. ordered two rolls of various bag widths on amazon prime and they got here yesterday.

i've got 4.5 lbs of jerky that i usually just put in big jars and don't bother sealing since i eat it quick. but i'm going to try the vacuum sealer. not to keen on using plastic bags, even if vacuum sealed, long term versus the xenoestrogen glass, but if it works and i can reliably get lots of storage out of it....probably isn't going to work for liquids, so anything dry i may be vacuum sealing from now on instead. there's a LOT of bags on this roll, and i can use the machine to cut the bags to fit. seems like a lot of storage; hope it works.
Be careful with generic brands of those, especially chineseium made on amazon. Honestly, I gurantee you should buy the Food Saver brand, especially at Sams or Costco if you have a membership. They are so much more reliable.

Good luck and best wishes to you.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i picked up a vacuum sealer at goodwill that looks basically brand new. we'll see it if functions, but it was $3.99. ordered two rolls of various bag widths on amazon prime and they got here yesterday.

i've got 4.5 lbs of jerky that i usually just put in big jars and don't bother sealing since i eat it quick. but i'm going to try the vacuum sealer. not to keen on using plastic bags, even if vacuum sealed, long term versus the xenoestrogen glass, but if it works and i can reliably get lots of storage out of it....probably isn't going to work for liquids, so anything dry i may be vacuum sealing from now on instead. there's a LOT of bags on this roll, and i can use the machine to cut the bags to fit. seems like a lot of storage; hope it works.
my experience trying to vacuum seal jerky is sharp edges make a hole in the bag.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I use my Food Saver sealer quite a bit especially when get too much from the garden. Just had some roasted beets from last year's garden that I had sealed and froze. Still pretty good!

I also ordered an attachment that will remove the air from jars too(someone else mentioned it too). You might want to consider this too.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Be careful with generic brands of those, especially chineseium made on amazon. Honestly, I gurantee you should buy the Food Saver brand, especially at Sams or Costco if you have a membership. They are so much more reliable.

Good luck and best wishes to you.
the bags are the same brand as the sealer; geryon. i wasn't familiar with the brand i'm sure it's chinese, but seemed like a quick search returned enough results.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I use my Food Saver sealer quite a bit especially when get too much from the garden. Just had some roasted beets from last year's garden that I had sealed and froze. Still pretty good!

I also ordered an attachment that will remove the air from jars too(someone else mentioned it too). You might want to consider this too.
yeah this one has the accessory port for that jar sealer. does seems like a handy tool; i know it's just vinyl tube and plug to fit that hole.....i'm thinking i could make or rig something up to work without having to buy one; but that's because i'm cheap lol. hence buying a $3 vacuum sealer at goodwill. hence being at goodwill in the first place lol

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah i was worried about that. gonna try it anyway lol
Joe, not sure about the model you bought but some like mine allow you to adjust the 'intensity' of the seal. It can be high where all air is removed and it mashes everything into as small of a package as possible. Set it up 1 lower and it'll still get all the air out but will stop before it does the trash compactor move on your jerky!

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah i was worried about that. gonna try it anyway lol
I *think* you should try some of those paper bag lunch bags, usually about a dollar a pack of 50 or so, or maybe your grocery or liquor store will give you some of those smaller size bags. Put the jerky in the paper bag and then into the vacuum bag. I *think* that would help prevent puncture, but I've not tried it personally.

Paper lunch bags LINKY

Latest posts

Top Bottom