Can't Recommend One Or The Other

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10-22 Or S&W 15-22

• Ruger

• Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my 'new to shooting' gun-boo is looking to add something for his kids to his collection. I'm a core 10-22 fan (currently 13 in the safe) and he's caught a fancy for the S&W. I don't have one of those, but the Colt/Umarex new car smell wore off quick. It was just one gun... A Ruger is every gun in my mind. Swap a stock, 30 carbine... Swap another, MP... Swap another, integrally suppressed sub-moa tackdriver.

So he asks me my recommendation because that Smith is gonna be cheap this holiday season, and my inner fanboy wants to push my beloved 10-22 on him, (like any sane person) but I want to give him unbiased advice.

I know the tacticool look is luring, especially since it'll be instant gratification. What say you?

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father in law handed down his 10-22 to my son when the boy turned 10. He shot it once. He gravitated toward the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. My daughter also preferred the 15-22.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a 10/22 years ago and it shot just fine. However after dealing with the mags and the cleaning/breakdown it was a major pain. I can load mags on my 15-22 nearly as fast as I can shoot them and cleaning is a simple pull the pin like an AR and slide the bolt and spring out, hose it down with CLP, wipe it off and stick it back in.

Yes the 10/22 has a ton more things you can do with it but then again by the time I stick a couple grand into it the bullet is still a 22 rimfire. I would rather stick my cash into an AR with a bull barrel or a bolt action for accuracy shooting anyway.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 10-22 has a longer track record of dependability and it's easier to find aftermarket parts to accurize it (bull barrels, stocks, etc). I'm not downplaying the S&W, they are light, accurate, and from what I've heard they are the best .22 rimfire AR platform rifle. I guess it boils down to whichever you find the sexiest.

For what it's worth, the 10-22 takedown is what I keep in my bug-out bag.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Every time I hear of someone wanting a 15-22 I always ask why not go ahead and get an AR-15?

They are priced so reasonable and easy to shoot with very little recoil so why not just upgrade to begin with.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22lr is still a LOT cheaper than 223/556 so I can see the appeal.

That and with the controls being identical it can be used for introduction or training. And while you can get conversion kits for a fill size AR to shoot 22 by the time you buy one you may as well spend a couple bucks more and have the dedicated platform with less hiccups to deal with. I know I would much rather take a new shooter to the range with my 15-22 for the first hundred rounds so that they are familiar with it and then let them have a few shots with the 223 after they are comfortable. A whole #311 of a lot cheaper too.

I actually am supposed to take someone who has never shot before in the next couple months when their schedule is conducive to making things happen.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A new 15-22 ought to be fine, but some of the early ones had issues with firing out of battery, leading to some injuries, so be careful going used. Otherwise, people seem to like them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom