Canton lake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you feel the wind coming up, get outta there! I’ve had to throttle crest waves from the north end to the south end. There is nothing to stop the south wind from funneling right up the lake.
my friend used to fish it it can get dangerous quick especially in a jon boat.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you feel the wind coming up, get outta there! I’ve had to throttle crest waves from the north end to the south end. There is nothing to stop the south wind from funneling right up the lake.

Exactly! Foss lake is the same way. The wind is so bad out in Western Oklahoma. It can get nasty real quick, especially in a Jon boat lol

THIS! If you see any weather developing in the area, get the hell off the water! My wife grew up at Canton, and her parents owned a place up there for many years. It is very unforgiving. We helped pull many people in and get their boats off the lake!

my friend used to fish it it can get dangerous quick especially in a jon boat.
Oh I will be looking out for that. I do not like wind or waves in the jon boat one bit. I tend to stick relatively close to the bank on bigger bodies of water anyways, canton will be no exception.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was on the Arkansas river in my canoe below lock 16 and a HUGE storm came up.
I was 2 miles up river from Gore and seen the clouds and rain.

We pulled the canoe up onto shore and back into the woods a bit and flipped it over to get under it.
Of course I put fresh bait on my poles first and tossed them out and tied them to a tree.

Rode out the quick moving storm under the boat.
Right as the rain let up a snake crawled under the boat right in front of me.
10" from my face looking at me I quickly got out from under the boat and went and checked the poles.

Got back to the boat ramp and trees were blown down into the parking lot.
Big cotton wood trees.
Limbs everywhere and only car in the lot was my 1982 Mustang, the trees missed it.

Lucky.
Later we were told a tornado came through and people split and were amazed that the Mustang did not get hit.
Yes we caught fish that day but none on the poles I set out before the storm.

:)

You do not have to ride the storm out on the lake you can use that small boat for cover.
I had a 4 HP gas engine on my canoe.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was on the Arkansas river in my canoe below lock 16 and a HUGE storm came up.
I was 2 miles up river from Gore and seen the clouds and rain.

We pulled the canoe up onto shore and back into the woods a bit and flipped it over to get under it.
Of course I put fresh bait on my poles first and tossed them out and tied them to a tree.

Rode out the quick moving storm under the boat.
Right as the rain let up a snake crawled under the boat right in front of me.
10" from my face looking at me I quickly got out from under the boat and went and checked the poles.

Got back to the boat ramp and trees were blown down into the parking lot.
Big cotton wood trees.
Limbs everywhere and only car in the lot was my 1982 Mustang, the trees missed it.

Lucky.
Later we were told a tornado came through and people split and were amazed that the Mustang did not get hit.
Yes we caught fish that day but none on the poles I set out before the storm.

:)

You do not have to ride the storm out on the lake you can use that small boat for cover.
I had a 4 HP gas engine on my canoe.
Spent my younger days on a lot of flooded rivers in Oklahoma Duck Hunting if your in fast moving water you had better have your act together! my childhood friend was a very good boater from very young! we killed a ton of ducks every year but i look back and think were lucky to be alive! wouldn't trade those days for the world!!!

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard from one of the LEOs at Hefner that they're releasing water from Canton now, should get here in a few days.
They're repairing one of the boat ramps at Hefner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom