Car accidents and firearms.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same thought on the seizure comment. And on the tension comment also. Seems a cop would be in a more situational mindset before expecting to seize firearms. Thats the law nowadays.

Anytime we work a vehicle accident, we never know if a person is under the influence of drugs or alcohol until we encounter the people involved.

If they are, state law says they can not be in possession of a firearm. As for the guy walking and falling down, if I roll up and he fell down because he is intoxicated, he would be arrested for public intoxication and yes, his firearm would be seized.

And if both parties involved in the crash are sober, I would still seize any weapons, because trust me...I've broken up many fights because tensions at MVAs are high, and both parties blame the other.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anytime we work a vehicle accident, we never know if a person is under the influence of drugs or alcohol until we encounter the people involved.

If they are, state law says they can not be in possession of a firearm. As for the guy walking and falling down, if I roll up and he fell down because he is intoxicated, he would be arrested for public intoxication and yes, his firearm would be seized.

And if both parties involved in the crash are sober, I would still seize any weapons, because trust me...I've broken up many fights because tensions at MVAs are high, and both parties blame the other.
So if nobody seems intoxicated or upset you still seize weapons?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesnt state law say one can have in possession a firearm while not intoxicated abiding all laws.

Sorry for the delay, I was in church. :selfangel

If I am called to an MVA, the possibility of a crime has been committed. Therefore, until my preliminary report is concluded, firearms will be made unavailable. Sorry, that's just the way it goes.

Now this is not necessarily the case when it's a traffic stop or some other type of call. Only when two or more parties are involved.

Same way with military bases and federal court houses. Even myself as an LEO can not carry my weapon into either of those facilities, unless I am on official police business.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I was in church. :selfangel

If I am called to an MVA, the possibility of a crime has been committed. Therefore, until my preliminary report is concluded, firearms will be made unavailable. Sorry, that's just the way it goes.

Now this is not necessarily the case when it's a traffic stop or some other type of call. Only when two or more parties are involved.

Same way with military bases and federal court houses. Even myself as an LEO can not carry my weapon into either of those facilities, unless I am on official police business.
So you would disarm the witness? So on a routine traffic accident were going to handle our firearms twice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom