Car accidents and firearms.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you would disarm the witness? So on a routine traffic accident were going to handle our firearms twice.

I don't think you are quite understanding the situation.

Have you ever been in a car accident? If so, were you happy go lucky about it? Did you feel as if you were just driving along and this guy (or gal) came flying out of nowhere and hit you, totaling you're beautiful Lexus, Porche, Land Rover - whatever, then the guy/gals points at you and says this was all YOUR fault?

Yeah, I've worked some like that.

Now, I'm sure you are a very calm, mild mannered, loving, polite individual, and you would NEVER threaten to harm your fellow man over something as silly as your car.

However, I have had to break up fights amongst motorists because of silly things people say and do at MVAs.

That SOB was going a 100ph!
He never even slowed down at that stop sign!
I was just driving down the road, when he came roaring up!
He don't even got no license or insurance!

Yeah, these are some of the things I've heard from drivers over the years.

Let me ask you this...what would you do? If you were the cop, and you showed up and two people were screaming and yelling and throwing fingers at each other. Would YOU feel ssfe at that scene if you knew one of those pissed off people had a gun on their hip? Honestly...

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you are quite understanding the situation.

Have you ever been in a car accident? If so, were you happy go lucky about it? Did you feel as if you were just driving along and this guy (or gal) came flying out of nowhere and hit you, totaling you're beautiful Lexus, Porche, Land Rover - whatever, then the guy/gals points at you and says this was all YOUR fault?

Yeah, I've worked some like that.

Now, I'm sure you are a very calm, mild mannered, loving, polite individual, and you would NEVER threaten to harm your fellow man over something as silly as your car.

However, I have had to break up fights amongst motorists because of silly things people say and do at MVAs.

That SOB was going a 100ph!
He never even slowed down at that stop sign!
I was just driving down the road, when he came roaring up!
He don't even got no license or insurance!

Yeah, these are some of the things I've heard from drivers over the years.

Let me ask you this...what would you do? If you were the cop, and you showed up and two people were screaming and yelling and throwing fingers at each other. Would YOU feel ssfe at that scene if you knew one of those pissed off people had a gun on their hip? Honestly...
I dont think you understand. Not all accidents total out expensive cars and upset drivers and warrant firearm seizure. I dont think you understand that saying someone else was at fault should get their firearm seized, or saying they dont have insurance, or saying that someone was driving wreckless. Your the one that brought up all these scenarios for the seizure of a firearm. Do most accidents have those scenarios? No i dont think so. If one was known to have a firearm and was getting to a point of officer/or others well being wouldn't you give a command and if not followed go from there. Does it matter if you know its on the hip or not. Honestly now

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont think you understand. Not all accidents total out expensive cars and upset drivers and warrant firearm seizure. I dont think you understand that saying someone else was at fault should get their firearm seized, or saying they dont have insurance, or saying that someone was driving wreckless. Your the one that brought up all these scenarios for the seizure of a firearm. Do most accidents have those scenarios? No i dont think so. If one was known to have a firearm and was getting to a point of officer/or others well being wouldn't you give a command and if not followed go from there. Does it matter if you know its on the hip or not. Honestly now

I'm just speaking from personal experience. It's safer for everyone. If you ever decide to don a gun and badge, you can do things your way. When I'm working MVAs, I do them my way. If anybody has a problem with that, they are more than welcome to visit with my chief of police.

I've done this job a long time. You haven't. I think it's best if we just agree to disagree. :thumb:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just speaking from personal experience. It's safer for everyone. If you ever decide to don a gun and badge, you can do things your way. When I'm working MVAs, I do them my way. If anybody has a problem with that, they are more than welcome to visit with my chief of police.

I've done this job a long time. You haven't. I think it's best if we just agree to disagree. :thumb:
I've done this job a long time. You haven't. I think it's best if we just agree to disagree. And what gave you that clue?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I laid down my Buell X1 on a greasy asphalt on a hot day. I was carrying my Sig 229 357 in a Kydex holster on my right hip. The kydex and the grip panel saved me from grìding my hip into the pavement. I was able to sandpaper away the damage to the kydex (they are tough) and already had a rubber Hogue grip in my parts stash to replace the damaged stock grip panel Trellice frame member smacked my already messed up right knee and got ròad rash on my right arm and chest up into my armpit, ouch.
I asked responding firemen if any of them were NRA members, 2 were and I got them to secure my pistol,then they gave it to my local KCMO patrol Sgt who knew me. He gave it back to my wife at the ER parking lot. She got mad at me because the cops unloaded all my 4 -12rd mags and handed her the pile of gun, mags and ammo and all she could do was put it all in the rear floor of heŕ Subaru and throw a beach towel over it and lock the car. Julie to me: " why do you have to carry so much ammunition and magazines?"
"Because I work a dangerous job in a crappy neighborhood and my #1 rule is to come home safe to my beautiful loving wife"
She said "quit riding a motorcycle for your work commute then"

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done this job a long time. You haven't. I think it's best if we just agree to disagree. And what gave you that clue?

So tell me...are you an LEO? If so, how long have you been on the job? And do you let everybody stay armed while they're screaming and yelling at each other? You must feel safer around total strangers than I do.

And like I said earlier, this is only during events (MVAs, domestics, barfights, etc) when two or more parties are involved do I disarm people. If it's a one on one call like a traffic stop, and the person informs me that he's armed, I just ask him where his weapon is and advise him to leave it be while I'm conducting business.

You can never be too careful in my line of work. If somebody gets his panties in a twist because the mean ol cop took his gun, too bad. A case of the red ass will heal. Bullet holes may not.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, but it's your responsibility to inform the officer. If you don't, that could be a ticket.

TITLE 21 § 1290.8 POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED-NOTIFICATION TO POLICE OF GUN

"D. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be required upon the demand of the law enforcement officer. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee or as lawfully in possession of any other firearm if the law enforcement officer does not demand the information. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee when no handgun is in the possession of the person or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violator of the provisions of this subsection may be issued a citation for an amount not exceeding One Hundred Dollars ($100.00). "

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1290.8 POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED-NOTIFICATION TO POLICE OF GUN

"D. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be required upon the demand of the law enforcement officer. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee or as lawfully in possession of any other firearm if the law enforcement officer does not demand the information. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee when no handgun is in the possession of the person or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violator of the provisions of this subsection may be issued a citation for an amount not exceeding One Hundred Dollars ($100.00). "

Thank you for correcting me on that. It used to be an SDA requirement to inform an LEO. I guess since constitutional carry has happened, it no longer is.

When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. Thanks again for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom