Car accidents and firearms.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Hayes

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here in Arizona the only time a driver is required to disclose possession of a firearm is if you have a CCW. Since we have constitutional carry and I don't have a CCW, there is no onus to inform. If ask, you must answer truthfully.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Oklahoma SDA prohibits seizure unless the carrier has committed a crime, is suspected of committing a crime, or in under the influence.

This was grossly violated a couple years ago (I was stopped for a headlight) - the cop was adamant that it was "for her safety". If she feels unsafe with a middle-aged, polite, sober driver - I wonder how she'll feel when there's an actual threat.

As for wrecks, I was in a bad one during the last ice storm. 60 mph spinning down the road, then flipping on the side - everything becomes a dangerous projectile. My "Air Marshall" shoulder rig kept my gun secure, the stainless water bottle was down right painful though.

Didn't have to worry about cops or anyone taking my gun though. No cops, no one else stopped. 0500 on 75 headed to Tulsa, they all just cruised on by.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for wrecks, I was in a bad one during the last ice storm. 60 mph spinning down the road, then flipping on the side - everything becomes a dangerous projectile. My "Air Marshall" shoulder rig kept my gun secure, the stainless water bottle was down right painful though.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’m constantly trying to keep myself in check when it comes to loose crap in the truck. I dated a girl in San Diego who as a child was in an accident. Her dad had just taken her to McDonald’s, and she had a unwrapped McDonald’s straw on the dash. When they got into the accident the straw became a projectile, and buried itself several inches into the soft part of your face below her chin. Still had a scar from it 15 years later.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only have to inform if asked.

Yes, you're right. I wasn't aware of the ammendment to the SDA laws since constitutional carry. KOPBET was kind enough to enlighten me.
I think this goes to show that it doesn’t hurt to “violate muh rights” and let the officer know in whatever situation. Lots of guys don’t know, and to keep your aas out of hot water you might as well let them know. If you aren’t breaking the law it’s not like you’re gonna be arrested or anything for providing a little courtesy.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So tell me...are you an LEO? If so, how long have you been on the job? And do you let everybody stay armed while they're screaming and yelling at each other? You must feel safer around total strangers than I do.

And like I said earlier, this is only during events (MVAs, domestics, barfights, etc) when two or more parties are involved do I disarm people. If it's a one on one call like a traffic stop, and the person informs me that he's armed, I just ask him where his weapon is and advise him to leave it be while I'm conducting business.

You can never be too careful in my line of work. If somebody gets his panties in a twist because the mean ol cop took his gun, too bad. A case of the red ass will heal. Bullet holes may not.
Anxiously awaiting a reply from magna19.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So tell me...are you an LEO? If so, how long have you been on the job? And do you let everybody stay armed while they're screaming and yelling at each other? You must feel safer around total strangers than I do.

And like I said earlier, this is only during events (MVAs, domestics, barfights, etc) when two or more parties are involved do I disarm people. If it's a one on one call like a traffic stop, and the person informs me that he's armed, I just ask him where his weapon is and advise him to leave it be while I'm conducting business.

You can never be too careful in my line of work. If somebody gets his panties in a twist because the mean ol cop took his gun, too bad. A case of the red ass will heal. Bullet holes may not.
Not a LEO.
Anxiously awaiting a reply from magna19.
There ya go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom