Car accidents and firearms.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah, I’m constantly trying to keep myself in check when it comes to loose crap in the truck. I dated a girl in San Diego who as a child was in an accident. Her dad had just taken her to McDonald’s, and she had a unwrapped McDonald’s straw on the dash. When they got into the accident the straw became a projectile, and buried itself several inches into the soft part of your face below her chin. Still had a scar from it 15 years later.
[/QUOTE]

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m constantly trying to keep myself in check when it comes to loose crap in the truck. I dated a girl in San Diego who as a child was in an accident. Her dad had just taken her to McDonald’s, and she had a unwrapped McDonald’s straw on the dash. When they got into the accident the straw became a projectile, and buried itself several inches into the soft part of your face below her chin. Still had a scar from it 15 years later.
You too?

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do get the tension thing, tempers flying, and such - I'd hope that an LEO, upon arrival, would use the good judgment to evaluate the situation. If everyone is calm and getting along then it would be their job to pay attention and make sure things stayed that way. If the LEO pulls up, he ought to be able to identify fairly quickly if anyone is under the influence, they are supposed to be trained for that; now, he would be in a new game other than the accident. If tempers are flaring, this is another situation. I would also think that if an LEO feels it necessary to seize any legal weapons, they should at that time inform the carrier(s) that upon a peaceful departure they could have it back - at that time! Not go through all the BS of getting it back. What is bad wrong is - if my gun is taken, recovered from a robbery, whatever - once it is in the law's possession, I'd have to go through the process of getting it back the same as if I were buying it new. That is just wrong, if there are no records on me and it is clearly my gun, give me my gun please, and thank you very much.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do get the tension thing, tempers flying, and such - I'd hope that an LEO, upon arrival, would use the good judgment to evaluate the situation. If everyone is calm and getting along then it would be their job to pay attention and make sure things stayed that way. If the LEO pulls up, he ought to be able to identify fairly quickly if anyone is under the influence, they are supposed to be trained for that; now, he would be in a new game other than the accident. If tempers are flaring, this is another situation. I would also think that if an LEO feels it necessary to seize any legal weapons, they should at that time inform the carrier(s) that upon a peaceful departure they could have it back - at that time! Not go through all the BS of getting it back. What is bad wrong is - if my gun is taken, recovered from a robbery, whatever - once it is in the law's possession, I'd have to go through the process of getting it back the same as if I were buying it new. That is just wrong, if there are no records on me and it is clearly my gun, give me my gun please, and thank you very much.

I absolutely would return a person's firearm to them at the scene, if either a) the owner of said weapon has calmed down, or b) if the weapon owner is still agitated and the other party has already left the scene.

The only way I would not return it is if they were in fact under the influence of intoxicants, and even then, the process of getting their weapon back (once sober later) would not be problematic nor a hassle.

Unless it was used in the commission of a crime, of course. Then, it's evidence.

I think everybody is being very apprehensive towards the way I said I conduct business at the scene of an MVA. I've literally had to break up fist fights at car crashes. If there would have been a weapon there (besides mine) who knows what would have happened.

Just put yourself in my shoes. You show up at a crash, the two parties involved are arguing and accusing each other of fault. The argument gets a little more heated, and you see that one (or both) of them are armed. What would you do?

I'm not taking a chance. That's all I need is for a simple automobile accident to morph into a damned shooting. All personal feelings about an individual's 2A rights are out the window at that certain moment. I'm going home at the end of my shift. I don't give two shits if I piss some gun owner off or not. Safety for all present is my number one goal at EVERY call I respond to.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely would return a person's firearm to them at the scene, if either a) the owner of said weapon has calmed down, or b) if the weapon owner is still agitated and the other party has already left the scene.

The only way I would not return it is if they were in fact under the influence of intoxicants, and even then, the process of getting their weapon back (once sober later) would not be problematic nor a hassle.

Unless it was used in the commission of a crime, of course. Then, it's evidence.

I think everybody is being very apprehensive towards the way I said I conduct business at the scene of an MVA. I've literally had to break up fist fights at car crashes. If there would have been a weapon there (besides mine) who knows what would have happened.

Just put yourself in my shoes. You show up at a crash, the two parties involved are arguing and accusing each other of fault. The argument gets a little more heated, and you see that one (or both) of them are armed. What would you do?

I'm not taking a chance. That's all I need is for a simple automobile accident to morph into a damned shooting. All personal feelings about an individual's 2A rights are out the window at that certain moment. I'm going home at the end of my shift. I don't give two shits if I piss some gun owner off or not. Safety for all present is my number one goal at EVERY call I respond to.
Yell at them to move apart and keep them separated, unless one seems intent on violence. Being angry/mad and arguing doesn’t mean they will shoot each other. If so, you better search cars, purses, bags, etc.

Note, I do have large values of 0 LEO experience, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express like a decade ago (don’t recommend it)

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yell at them to move apart and keep them separated, unless one seems intent on violence. Being angry/mad and arguing doesn’t mean they will shoot each other. If so, you better search cars, purses, bags, etc.

I just don't let them back inside their vehicles while I'm there. There's usually another officer (or two,) there, which makes things easier. But I've worked several by myself. And yeah, I know just because they're arguing, doesn't mean they are gonna go to guns, but I'm not taking that chance.

I've been a cop a long time. I've seen things that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. There's no need for the opportunity to present itself. Like I said, yeah, temporarily taking someone's gat from them pisses them off, but I don't give a damn. Safety trumps feelings and animosity every single day.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't let them back inside their vehicles while I'm there. There's usually another officer (or two,) there, which makes things easier. But I've worked several by myself. And yeah, I know just because they're arguing, doesn't mean they are gonna go to guns, but I'm not taking that chance.

I've been a cop a long time. I've seen things that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. There's no need for the opportunity to present itself. Like I said, yeah, temporarily taking someone's gat from them pisses them off, but I don't give a damn. Safety trumps feelings and animosity every single day.
I’d prefer they did shoot each other, remove two more idiots from the road.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d prefer they did shoot each other, remove two more idiots from the road.

giphy-2.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom