Car audio places

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would it be better to upgrade the deck first then do the speakers later ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily. I have a 2014 Corolla S Plus with the touch screen system. I wanted to keep that so I had a buddy who used to do installs for Best Buy install: Polk speakers with an Alpine 4 Channel amp which fits behind the head unit and a single 10" Kicker box with internal amp in the trunk. Sounds so good but kept the factory appearance for resale purposes.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would it be better to upgrade the deck first then do the speakers later ?

It depends on the system that is currently in place and if you are doing things on a budget. For my wife's car when we had it I was able to get a complete kit that came with a sony head unit and speakers for 150 bucks. Rear deck was 6X9's and the doors were 6 inch. It worked out great that way. For the truck I swapped the head unit first and the door speakers later. I may end up doing a modified swap at some point since it originally had a 1.5DIN in it and it is possible with some dash modifications to put in a double DIN which would allow full touch screen capability among other things and it currently has a kit in it to put in a single DIN radio but at least it had front input and CD/MP3 which was a ton better than the cassette it came with.

You also have to ask yourself what you want out of it and how long you plan to keep it. Want to really be able to crank it up on a budget then plan to just amplify everything. Get a head unit that will output to at least two amplifiers for left and right and usually you can pick up either a crossover or amp that will allow you to then go out to a second amp for a sub unless you have a couple 6X9's. Then work from there. When you can pick up the speakers that will work in your vehicle have an amp in mind and just be careful about cranking it too loud as while an aftermarket head unit is better than most factory units it will still start to distort at a certain point. Wait a few months and then grab an amp.

If you have it in mind to get a new vehicle after a while just do a simple swap for now. Around Christmas you will often see the kits that have the head unit with a set of speakers available at the big box store or you can search online and find bundles where you can pick up a head unit and then buy the same brand speakers at a pretty good discount.

Latest posts

Top Bottom