Car quality going down the tubes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hyundai’s and kias are supposed to be the most reliable mfgs right now. Honda’s and Toyota’s have dropped.

all mfg reliability dropped across the board during 2020 and 2021.

FYI, if you don’t have push button start, you may want to YouTube how easy your Elantra’s are to steal and add an Immobilizer.
Just bought my first Honda in July. Was happy till I was reading the comments. It's a 2020 CR-V w/turbo. 24k on the odemeter. MPG is great, 34.4 hwy, hasn't dropped below 33.1 around town. Has all the bells&whistles. Drives fine, plenty of room. 10yr-100k warranty. We will see how it goes.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Totally disagree. Some of their V8s are outstanding. Maybe not the newer tundras I don’t know, but they have made many that seem to last just as long as those iconic Toyota engines you mentioned. Also the 2jz inline 6. Also the 3rz-fe and the 2rz are great motors. Many of the Camry engines were bomb proof also.
Toyota is living off the reputation they developed with the 20r, 22r, and 22rec. Haven’t built anything better then the competition since then.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought my first Honda in July. Was happy till I was reading the comments. It's a 2020 CR-V w/turbo. 24k on the odemeter. MPG is great, 34.4 hwy, hasn't dropped below 33.1 around town. Has all the bells&whistles. Drives fine, plenty of room. 10yr-100k warranty. We will see how it goes.
You may want to google "Honda cr-v oil dilution problems"....... Yours may be OK, but I would keep an eye on the dipstick level.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im not really brand loyal either but the one Ford I had kept shooting spark plugs out. Like wtf really? And that's really is what has kept me from buying another one on top of having great luck with GM and Dodge.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not really brand loyal either but the one Ford I had kept shooting spark plugs out. Like wtf really? And that's really is what has kept me from buying another one on top of having great luck with GM and Dodge.

60 years of licensed driving with automobiles, and in all that time, I've had fewer problems with the Ford products that I've owned. I had a Chevy Silverado with the greatly vaunted 350 engine have the lobes on the camshaft start going flat in 17,000 miles. Back then, warranty wouldn't cover over 12,000 miles. At 60,000 miles, it needed an overhaul. That certainly burned me out with GM products. Dodge products also didn't do as well as our Fords.

As for foreign vehicles, I will pass on them as well. No good luck with them, and to top it off, with the places the wife and I go, one can't always find dealers for some of those products.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This sounds like the “senior citizen center”……”Why, back in my day everything was better”.
Mostly because it was. I'm restoring a 1962 Jaguar Mk II. It has grease zerks on the door hinges. The aluminum hemi head double overhead cam straight six cylinder motor was used by Jaguar for 45 years. The body metal is about twice as thick as todays cars. The motor puts out 220 hp from the 3.8 liter motor ,which is close to 1hp per cu.in.. Muscle car performance without computers and variable valve timing. The headlights are glass and don't glaze up. Designed to be worked on with access covers that can be removed to get to certain bolts. The most complicated item on the whole car is the double overhead cams. Drawbacks are the sorry Lucas electronics (Lucas Lord of Darkness), 19 mpg, and being worth more than I want to risk driving amongst todays distracted drivers.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cam phasers were an issue on the 5.4, and maybe 4.6, but they're not a widespread issue on the Coyote, which uses a different phaser design that's not as dependent on the engine oil. These are imperfect machines built by imperfect people, so anything can have issues.

FWIW, my Coyote-powered '13 F-150 just rolled over 186,000 miles, and it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Incredible to think there are 3 generations of Coyotes now. I like the second gen, it has cast iron cylinder liners and an aluminum block. Not totally sold on the 3rd Gen yet, no liners, plasma deposition of iron on the aluminum block. Ford did get 3 extra cubic inches out of the "5.0" Coyote with that change, currently up to 307 cubic inches. Is it a good engine overall? Only time will tell. The 5.4 was good in concept, however has had two major issues:

1) Spark plug ejection
2) Cam Phaser issues

The best one can do is take care of their car, change oil often, get issues fixed, don't beat the snot out of it and hope for the best.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They’re great cars! I bought a new 2019 CRV in 2020 because ‘19 is the last year without a turbo (other than the hybrid).
There’s probably more hype over oil dilution in their turbos than real problems but it was new at the time so I couldn’t be sure. They’re still using them in the 2023 model so that says something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom