Card fraud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why does anyone use a debit card? I have no debit cards, but do use credit cards. I have had charges > $10,000 on a Discover card. I called Discover, questioned the charge, found where the card was used. I contacted the Sam's Club where it was used, talked to the store manager and found out a club member from Chicago bought $10,000 of cigarettes. I asked for video of the purchase, but Sam's wouldn't provide me that.

I disputed the charge, called the Memphis police and filed a report. As far as I know nothing happened, but I paid nothing, I was out some time, but I was interested in tracing what happened.

Discover cancelled my card and overnighted me a new card for free. That was the extent of my risk.

Using a credit card vs. a debit card is advantageous because, the credit card takes all the risk and you can get cash back (2%-5%).

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We all pay for that cash back in some form or another. Cash back is just incentive for you to keep using cc for transactions. Along with all the other incentives that cc offer, it does make some sense to use them if you can do so responsibly.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We all pay for that cash back in some form or another. Cash back is just incentive for you to keep using cc for transactions. Along with all the other incentives that cc offer, it does make some sense to use them if you can do so responsibly.
Yep, it's free money if you make no additional purchases because of it. I have had a credit card for 25+ years and have never carried a balance, unless it was a promotion that was for an interest free purchase.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 2 banks I work with have some pretty good security set up on my debit cards. If I go out of state or make a purchase over a certain amount I call them first to approve the charge. If I forget or my info is stolen, both have happened, the card gets declined and I get a phone call from the bank immediately. Even with that protection they've robbed me blind over night, but a quick call to the banks and it is resolved. I usually replace all my cards if one is compromised. Clean up my computer at home and work for any spyware or the like.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago I was at the big Tulsa gun show buying items with my plastic. On about the fourth buy my card got rejected. I found out the credit card company saw my card being used in three states in just a few hours and thought my card had been hacked.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it my luck or is it getting BAD out there?
Few weeks ago I had to get a new Credit Card because somebody decided to use my card to make an online TV purchase at a Meijer store in Michigan, then charged an uber ride too which I can only assume was to go pick it up.

Tonight I'm checking my primary debit card and notice 5 transactions for online orders at Chipotle in Newport Beach, CA. So I guess now I get to shut that one down and get a new one.

You can set up to where you get text alerts for all purchases.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Write in sharpee on the back of your card in the signature block "NOT VALID WITHOUT PROPER ID"

I've had two cards with that written on them for a total of about 7 years. Never got my ID checked.

I had someone decide to use my Best Buy CC info purchase 5 pimped out Iphone 10s back when they first came out. They even went into the store to pick them up and activated them to other people. Not once was "Llydia Goldsman" asked for ID, proof that she had the credit card, or asked why she was using my credit card in Connecticut. I got the charges reversed, but nobody seemed to care that it happened or wished to provide me with any info, or any sort of assurance that it wouldn't happen again, from best best nor from the credit card company. I paid it off and froze the account so it could never be used. I still get collection calls for that lady, stating that I was put as a cosigner or reference.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just had another card replaced. Someone tried to sign onto my account with my ID>...... I'm signed up for text messages on every charge and every sign on attempt from a device other than my phone. It's saved me/them a bundle. But, they still try.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with some others, I only use my credit card for everything now, can't remember last time I used my debit card. I just use the credit card and pay it off in full and best part is I get points for everything I spent. 1%-5% back adds up really fast when you use your credit card to pay all your bills/expenses

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a card hacked a few years ago. There's a relationship between your name and your card number (or at least there used to be), hence why random card number generators work.

The guy didn't even need my name, but it was a name that started with the same initials of my first & last names.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom