Cardboard shotgun shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdsconcrete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad bought around 3000 or so assorted 12 and 20 gauge cardboard shells at a auction 22years ago.He paid 10 bucks for the lot.Me and three of my brothers found them when we were in our late teens out in the gradge.We shot every single one of the in a week period.Does anyone know if they were worth anything?My dad seems to think we shot up someting of value.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be glad you shot them. I have heard that the nitroglycerin in the old cardboard shells would start sweating through and become very dangerous to even handle. shotgun shells contain about 50% nitroglycerin in the powder and just like dynamite could be very dangerous if caution is not used.(when they begin to sweat.)

sdsconcrete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be glad you shot them. I have heard that the nitroglycerin in the old cardboard shells would start sweating through and become very dangerous to even handle. shotgun shells contain about 50% nitroglycerin in the powder and just like dynamite could be very dangerous if caution is not used.(when they begin to sweat.)
I did not know that,Dads gonna get a kick outta that.I saved his life lol.

1big44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on brand and condition about $1 a pop, I have sold some for $3. But like flat twins said the old boxes are where the $$$ are. On average a full box with box in good shape draws $40-$50 some go for more. If you can find the right collectors there is some bucks to be made. If I were your dad I wouldn't ever let you forget it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom