Career change… IT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before retiring I was the information security officer for a large financial institution. If you want to learn about security, unfortunately you will have to do most of the learning on your own, e.g., self-study. Aside from tuition reimbursement for degree programs that quite a few companies offer, won't teach you most of the stuff you need to know, most budgets don't provide for much annual training, so slow going on vendor specific stuff. You need to learn firewalls (can you say Cisco?), VPNs and setup, most likely MS security from Exchange/Office 365 to Windows enterprise security stuff, enterprise group policy, etc. It's a lot of hard work to keep up. Unless you have a degree, however, don't expect to advance very far, especially into mgmt. These are MY experiences, YMMV.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if @HoLeChit is wanting to move away from the metro area but there’s a company up here in Guymon paying pretty dang well to drive trucks.. they get you your CDL and from what I’ve seen there’s no contract on you staying after you get it. Most people get theres and leave lmao.

And if you have the stomach for it, can get your CDL and haul dead pigs. Rumor has it those guys that work nights and some holidays are making $100,000 a year.

There’s also a few renewable energy plants around here… could be an operator or work maintenance… honestly I know it is pretty boring in the Panhandle and people knock it a lot but there’s actually a lot of career opportunities up here in this hell hole. No one has to say it’s permanent.

What’s your wife do, @HoLeChit ? There’s probably a helluva opportunity up here for her as well.
I’m not really looking to move. With getting married and starting a family soon, we want to stick close to family, which all live within 45 minutes of OKC. Also, with my mom going through a bad wreck/having a dozen broken bones and needing help with everything, its hard to leave. I am not opposed to traveling for work, however. Had a buddy say he is gonna try and get me on with his employer, says he’s pulling in $45/hr chasing frac crews, plus bonuses and per diem. Two on, two off. For that kinda money and time off, I think i could get back into turning wrenches.

Driving trucks, I know I can pass a DOT physical, used to have my medical card and skirt the CDL part, staying at least semi legal. Buttt. I am working on getting a cpap, which i know would complicate things. I figure I could still make it happen if the right gig showed up.

Fiancé is a Licensed counselor, the mental health kind. Typically treats teens and young adults. She runs her own business at the moment, but would like to be a stay at home mom when we start popping out kids.which is something we will be working on after the wedding, this fall.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since posting the opening post, I’ve filled out an application for a cybersecurity apprenticeship, and have networked with another guy about getting my name passed over to someone who may be interested in taking me as an apprentice. My close friend who works as a cybersecurity supervisor in Arkansas is helping me along and should prove to be valuable in the future. He’s told me it’s a good idea to start with basic IT stuff, get a job doing help desk or something, and then aggressively move my way up. Pretty much what he has done, and he is doing really well, in spite of barely graduating high school and having never stepped foot into a college classroom.

Come to find out Francis Tuttle waives your tuition if you’re an honorably discharged vet, so that’s good information for anyone looking to take any sort of classes they offer. I’ve started applying for courses there.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you really want to get into cybersecurity, take a look at InfraGard. It's a public-private alliance for cybersecurity, coordinated with the FBI. The meetings can give you an opportunity to network with professionals in cybersecurity from various organizations and companies in Oklahoma.

Here's the Oklahoma chapter:
https://www.infragardok.org/

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since posting the opening post, I’ve filled out an application for a cybersecurity apprenticeship, and have networked with another guy about getting my name passed over to someone who may be interested in taking me as an apprentice. My close friend who works as a cybersecurity supervisor in Arkansas is helping me along and should prove to be valuable in the future. He’s told me it’s a good idea to start with basic IT stuff, get a job doing help desk or something, and then aggressively move my way up. Pretty much what he has done, and he is doing really well, in spite of barely graduating high school and having never stepped foot into a college classroom.

Come to find out Francis Tuttle waives your tuition if you’re an honorably discharged vet, so that’s good information for anyone looking to take any sort of classes they offer. I’ve started applying for courses there.
If you actually want to do it and spend your extra time learning on your own, you could be managing in 5-7 years. It’s really the individual.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"IT is like gynecology....sounds fun until you realize nobody calls you when things are going well"
-IT guy I worked with at a very large Aerospace company 😂
Back when I was leading a customer service/technical support department, it was even worse as the manager. If our 1st or 2nd tier support couldnt deescalate or solve the problem, they came to me. If they decided they didnt like our 1st or 2nd tier support, they called me directly. Our customers were all in the automotive recovery industry so those calls typically came between the hours of 10pm and 8am when they were working.

I still get a spike of anxiety when my phone rings and I havent done that job in 12 years. The funny part was going to conferences and all of these big, rough and tumble repo guys that treated personal attacks like the Olympics were the nicest guys in person. I always looked forward to getting to meet the new ones at a conference because they became pretty enjoyable to work with after a handshake and some beverages.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you actually want to do it and spend your extra time learning on your own, you could be managing in 5-7 years. It’s really the individual.
My buddy went from being the mobile IT guy for a home builder/construction business to being groomed to be the regional director of cybersecurity for a small/midsized bank in a matter of 5 years. I don’t doubt it.
"IT is like gynecology....sounds fun until you realize nobody calls you when things are going well"
I’m gonna have to get that made into a flowery “live laugh love” style picture for my office if I get things going with this.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Everything is working great . . . why do we need you IT guys.

Nothing is working at all . . . why do we even have you IT guys.

--Upper Management

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m utilizing the VRE at the moment the 1st things they pitched to me were IT and becoming a teacher, imagine that…my wife was in IT in a security role and is now a project manager because she hated compliance and all the crap that goes with IT security. I dabbled with the idea of cybersecurity BUT just know you will not be getting a cybersecurity job upon graduating. Certs are great and often required however experience, especially networking experience trumps all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom