carefull what you shoot at

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't stress enough, if you are going to shoot steel, take some time to know, and understand what you are dealing with.

I personally have been hit by shrapnel, my own fault, could have been much worse. It's amazing how a fragment the size of a pencil eraser, and as thick as a piece of paper can inflict as much damage as it does. Hit me in the rib cage, broke the skin even though I had 2 shirts on. I was about 10 feet behind the guy shooting, so we both were obviously WAY too close...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was shooting soft HP lead powerbelts from a .50 cal muzzleloader the back stop was a pond dam 30 feet high, I was 100 yards back shooting at a cardboard box at 50 yards out.. That bullet hit the grass covered ground skipped over the dam and went wizzing along.. My buddy was feeding his hogs and heard the shot and then heard the bullet wizzing along he was 600 yards away on the other side of the dam.

We have shot 50BMG and 338 and everything down to BB guns and nothing ever went over the dam.

We now scoot up 50 yards ... Bullets will make awful skips sometimes.

I shot some steel plates with my wheel weigh lead bullets and heard them go past me.. Need more angle on those steel targets.

brown_one2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tried to explain things like this to my neighbor that shoots in his front yard. The highway is a mile and half in the direction he shoots. The field also contains horses. A machine shop is 3/4 of a mile away. He says there is no problem since he is shooting into the ground. Someday he will be buying a horse....or worse.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom